Another Newbe Question- Please Help me.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SoccerMomof7, May 2, 2008.

1. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Okay as some of you know I purchased these from the feed store and was told they were both female black australorps. Well the older they get the more different they look. Even their feathers look different and I am new at this whole thing so I need some help. I have been reading up and still have lots to learn. One of the chicks have very smooth black feathers with some white on the tips of her wings (Peeps) and she also has blackish legs. The other chick (Zora) have more pointed rough looking feathers and they have white streaks going through them, she has orange legs. Are they still the same or is one a different breed or is it a roo? That is what I am really worried about my DH says that we can only have 1 roo and we have Foghorn, a 3 week old Brown Leghorn. I have 7 kids that are getting more and more attached to her everyday. Zora is even my favorite...but what do you guys think?

Peeps on the left Zora on the right

[​IMG]

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    The one on the right looks almost like a Barred Rock. Can you get a side view pic?

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

The one on the left looks like an australorp, but they both look like cockerals to me.

Edited because I don't know left from right!

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2008
  4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I don't know how to tell roos from hens yet but I sure hope they are not BOTH roos!!!

5. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

left looks like some kind of molted... right looks alot like a silver laced wyndotte

6. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Here is a side view of one (Zora) I will get a picture of the other one later. I have an overhead view if that will help.

[​IMG]

7. Flycropper

Flycropper Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    The one on the right looks like a Sliver Laced Wyandotte.

I have one that looks just like her.

[​IMG]

8. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    THose are really pretty chickens so that's not bad news, but how do I tell hen vs. roo on those?

9. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Looks like a black australorp cockerel and a silver laced wyandotte pullet. JMHO

10. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Quote:What exactly is molted and what causes it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by