Another newbie here, and so glad I found this forum

oregonkat

Crowing
7 Years
Oct 5, 2012
Southern Oregon
Hi everyone, Southern Oregon chicken lover here. I had no idea that there were so many breeds out there. I just finished looking at the breeds section and, wow!, is all I can say. Our Grange Co op out here carries what must be the 'standard' breeds. I have the following: 1 Buff orpington rooster (enormous) named Roderick by our boys, 1 buff orpington hen, 3 black australorps, 1 silver laced wyandotte, 2 rhode island reds (I think), and a leghorn. Most are in full molt right now and look horrible poor little things. I did have several more but we have a resident sharp shinned hawk that has harvested a few here and there. I rescued my leghorn from the hawk the other day and had to sit with her on my knee for about an hour while she calmed down. I think that she was too heavy for the hawk and so he had to land with her under him at which point I scared him off. We live on sixty acres of forested land and the hens are all free range and so they are exposed to the predators. They do go home to their coop at night and for the most part they lay in the morning. I admit to pandering to these creatures, which means that they get a mash of wild rice and ground flax seed several times a week.

I do have a question though, my rooster's comb keeps getting scabs on it and the ends of the comb are always a sort of dark purple color not bright red like the rest of it. Why is this, it is not very attractive? Is there a vitamin supplement that I should be feeding them? Thanks for any input. Kat

sorry to hear about your chicken, you should try to post this in forum, raising backyard chickens, Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures. good luck to ya. :)

Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. It could be fowl pox. It is spread by mosquitoes. Its a virus and there is no treatment, but you can add vitamins and extra treats for them to help their immune system fight it. A pic would help to ID. :thumbsup

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
So glad you joined us!!!
wee.gif

If it is fowl pox I think it goes away after 2 weeks and I do not think it is fatal. (I could be wrong but I think that is what I read) Maybe he is just a bit cold and then the tips of his comb will turn purplish. Yes a picture would help. You can pm me if you want.

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!

Back
Top Bottom