Another newbie here! S. California

Berlena

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 7, 2010
Near Disneyland!
Hi everyone! I like most newbies have a lot of questions but I have been looking at stickies and trying to search for answers on my own.
smile.png

I live in an urban area (Orange County) and in a HOA(ugh). I wanted chickens but I don't want to push my luck! I found out about quail from a friend on Facebook and decided they would be best for my situation! I found a breeder nearby and got 3 Coturnix hens. I don't really want to have any crowing cocks so I didn't get one. We LOVE them! So much fun and wow they lay a lot of eggs!

I wanted a few more in different colors...we have the basic wild colored ones. But have had NO luck finding anyone nearby. I decided it would be fun to try to hatch eggs so I got a new incubator(Hova Bator 1602N) and am studying the best way to work it. I would LOVE some quick tips or suggestions on how to best maintain it...before ordering the eggs!

I've raised many species of animals... I grew up in 4H and FFA.
smile.png
Currently I successfully raise and show Mini Rex rabbits locally and nationally. So I have good grasp on animal husbandry. BUT NO experience raising quail. It is fun to learn something new! My son LOVES those quail and checks on them obsessively for eggs LOL.

Anyway HELLO and expect to a lot of newbie questions from me!
big_smile.png

Well welcome to the quail section.

1602 is that the still air model? Game birds do better with a forced air incubator. Mine is a Forced air Hoba bator. A lot of people that do a lot of hatching use the still airs for hatchers, though. I have been thinking about getting one for that purpose. Then I can hatch more.
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from Orange County near Disney World!!! (Sorry couldn't help myself)
Get ready for the addiction!!! Sorry that I do not have any info for you on your 'bator but I hatch all of mine in a still air. I do not like hatching in a forced air. I seem to get way to many shrink wraps in a force air no mater how I manage the humidity.
Good luck with your eggies.

Back
Top Bottom