Help! Newbie Button Quail Owner

Jul 3, 2023
Hi everyone,

I am a newbie Button Quail owner (never raised any poultry previously).

I have a couple of button quail females lay eggs the last couple of days. I hear that many button quails do not go broody. Especially since I have three male-female pairs in a 4 by 2 by 2 foot cage (with hiding places and small plants), I doubt the girls will get broody (since not kept separately in breeding pairs, although they all seem to get along).

If I want to incubate their eggs using an incubator, how should I collect these laid eggs? How long can I keep them before they are no good for incubation? Do I need to turn them to keep them viable before incubating?

Thank you all for the help! Really appreciate it.

If you want to incubate the eggs, collect them daily until you have enough or you've been collecting for no more than 7 days and put them in the incubator. After 7 days they start losing fertility, so you want to get them in by then.

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie Button Quail owner (never raised any poultry previously).

I have a couple of button quail females lay eggs the last couple of days. I hear that many button quails do not go broody. Especially since I have three male-female pairs in a 4 by 2 by 2 foot cage (with hiding places and small plants), I doubt the girls will get broody (since not kept separately in breeding pairs, although they all seem to get along).

If I want to incubate their eggs using an incubator, how should I collect these laid eggs? How long can I keep them before they are no good for incubation? Do I need to turn them to keep them viable before incubating?

Thank you all for the help! Really appreciate it.
I've had a community type enclosure before with my buttons, the females all went broody....so much so, that I had a hard time breaking them of it. Even went to 'no light' conditions and they were still laying eggs and still broody....but your experience with them may and probably will differ!

The person I got my first button eggs from has an amazing aviary setting with gouldian finches and button quail. He was always trying to find homes for extra buttons because they kept producing chicks.

Hi everyone my name is Angela. I need your help immediately. Urgent urgent!

I need a Buttonquail expert help please. I have an aviary that my Buttonquail Lauren it’s rather large and I can send pictures. For the past three months all the Buttonquail‘s were doing perfectly fine no problems no fights no food issues laying eggs like mad. Then all the sudden they started dying off five here to here and each day there is always a dead Buttonquail. What could be causing this? Someone please help as I have another Buttonquail that sitting in a corner, not eating or drinking and I don’t know what to do. I will send photos of my aviary as I try my best to keep the shavings clean and wash off the plexiglass there is good ventilation in the aviary.
Please please please someone help. I want to keep my button quails live and I don’t know what to do.

Attachments

• IMG_4231.jpeg
    IMG_4231.jpeg
    794.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4230.jpeg
    IMG_4230.jpeg
    709.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4229.jpeg
    IMG_4229.jpeg
    527.3 KB · Views: 14
Hi everyone my name is Angela. I need your help immediately. Urgent urgent!

I need a Buttonquail expert help please. I have an aviary that my Buttonquail Lauren it’s rather large and I can send pictures. For the past three months all the Buttonquail‘s were doing perfectly fine no problems no fights no food issues laying eggs like mad. Then all the sudden they started dying off five here to here and each day there is always a dead Buttonquail. What could be causing this? Someone please help as I have another Buttonquail that sitting in a corner, not eating or drinking and I don’t know what to do. I will send photos of my aviary as I try my best to keep the shavings clean and wash off the plexiglass there is good ventilation in the aviary.
Please please please someone help. I want to keep my button quails live and I don’t know what to do.
I answered in both of the other threads that you posted in. Duplicate posting doesn't really help since you may get replies scattered through all of them.

How cold does it get in your aviary?
What are you feeding them?
Are your hens getting enough calcium?
Do you see any other symptoms?
Are they eating, drinking, and pooping normally before they die?

Back
Top Bottom