Another newbie question on when they outgrow their brooder

Carenm

Songster
10 Years
Nov 16, 2009
Midland, TX
We have a brooder and 4 chicks who are just under a week old. In a few weeks they will be ready to move outside weather permitting, right? This is TX so it should be warm even at night.

Is that all we do? When they are 6 weeks or so put them in their coop?

Anything to do in between?

Sorry, for silly questions. Never had chicks before and want to make sure they all live
smile.png

I've heard you can put them in their coop when they feather out (unless you have heat of course). Texas is a bit different, though. We're still getting freezing temps at night up here.

I did, however, put them in outside in their cage today while I cleaned the garage floor where they're being kept at the moment. They loved it so much, I left them out all afternoon. They had their heat lamp and were sheltered from the breeze, but most of them scratched the grass away and took a nap in the warm earth.

Yes, weather permitting, they can go outside. (assuming there's no adults in the coop) I used a heat lamp in the coop to transition them to cooler temps. Then after a week, I shut it off during the day and left it on at night. A week after that, I turned it off permanently.

Back
Top Bottom