Another newbie walks in...

Dignam

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
hi everyone!

I've been reading posts here for weeks and have finally created an account. I have 6 chickens I raised from day old chicks and they are now about 9 weeks old. 2 Light Brahmas, 2 Buff Orpingtons and 2 Araucanas. One of the Brahmas appears to be a cockerel so the debate I've been having with myself about getting a rooster has been resolved! I'm not sure how I feel about it now but it's a done deal. I've heard (and read) so many stories about brutal rooster behaviour that I'm a little nervous. I'm going to spend more time with "Martha" (named for Martha in Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf) and hold him more often.

I could use some advice about picking up and holding chickens. I saw in a magazine a technique where the arm supports the bird with the hand under the belly and the hen facing the upper arm of the handler. I'm sure there are already posts on this and I'll take a look today. I tried to handle them often when they were chicks but there is only so much time! I've been picking up Martha and (s)he isn't crazy about it but I'm not going to be intimidated by a chicken!

I've built a coop in our barn and have a caged run for them outside. We back up on a couple thousand acres of woods and have coyotes and fox and I just saw the biggest possum ever making its way out of my compost pile the other day. Him I'm going to try to trap and move him a few miles away from here.

Half of what I read here fuels my enthusiasm and the other half freaks me out! Worming, stuck eggs, mites, predators! But I love my girls (and boy) and am looking forward to the adventure.

all best,
Dignam

Newbies are great!
welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif
from Pennsylvania! What ever way you decide to hold them keep in mind the end where the poop comes from. My kids seem to always end up with poop on them when they hold the chicks!

Back
Top Bottom