Another NH newbie

turbokev

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
NH
Hi folks~

I'm Kev.. a forty something Dad of 2 small boys with a great wife, Kim.
We've kicked around the idea of getting a few chickens for months now and took the plunge about 4 weeks ago..
A local feed and supply place got in an order of chicks.. and later that day we had 8 of the little buggers peeping up a storm at our house.

We got 2 black cochins, 2 buffingtons, 3 white brahmas and 1 salmon? (something spelled like that anyways)

They spent week one in a plastic storage bin from WalMart, then I built them a 30" x 32" box using a washing machine tray as a base for easier cleaning.
I even put a couple small roosts in and several of them have got that figured out..

Here's what the box looks like~

P0014903.jpg

P0014904.jpg

and here's a group shot of our girls I took a few minutes ago~

P0014906.jpg

I spent a couple days this week working on their permanent home.. I'm no carpenter and I'm just winging it as I go along using ideas from this site~

I chopped down an overgrown apple tree and framed in a spot off the back of the garage~
(I saved a couple nice branches to put in the run for them to climb on)

P0014884.jpg

Look close in this picture and you can see some of the carpeting I had to pull up out of the ground..
apparently the previous home owner layed out 4 rooms worth of carpet all around the garage and covered it with 2 inches of loom when he put new floors in the house 20 years ago..
roll.png

P0014900800.jpg

P0014902800.jpg

The coop itself is 7.5 feet by 4 feet.. the whole thing with the screened in covered area will be 7.5 feet by 11.5 feet

I'm glad I found this site.. I'm going to need lots of help along the way I'm sure!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.. even some locals
smile.png

(I'm in Fremont.. a little town surrounded by Brentwood, Epping, Kingston, Danville, Raymond, Chester and Sandown.)

I got some more done today and picked up the aluminum roofing tonight..

I think I'll start a thread about the coop in the right place.. I have a bunch of build pictures~

Back
Top Bottom