Another one looking like a penguin!! Help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tonini3059, Dec 1, 2008.

1. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    My silver penciled wyandotte is now acting like my golden laced wyandotte. She is standing upright like a penguin. They are both eating. The penciled is walking around more so than the golden. I checked the golden to she if she was egg bound and we did not feel anything. I just noticed the penciled and haven't checked her yet. Does anyone have an idea of what is going on?? I just can't figure out what is wrong!!

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

We went through this with one of our OEG roos. One minute he was fine and the next he could not walk. With a bit of therapy we got him to where he could walk like a penguin. As time went on he got worse and worse and I finally had to put him down after about 4 months. We thought at first that it was an injury but was able to rule that out. I looked everywhere for an answer and after ruling out many different things came up with what is called "Salpingitis". It is an oviduct or vent infection that is caused by E Coli. It moves up into the inner systems of the chicken causing all sorts of problems, one of which is partial paralisis hench the walking like a penguin. Most people think "Egg Bound" when a chicken displays this characterization but that is kind of hard when it is a rooster. I could never find any type of cure for this disease.
    Keep us posted...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by