another playhouse to coop construction

There's two very good articles linked in my signature about Space and Ventilation...a good place to start reading.

I'm not sure how to see the links when I click on your name I just see the my coop link. Thanks

If you really only want say five chickens ... maybe you could advertise on here (there's a section on here to buy/sell, but you need 20-25 posts) or craigs list to sell the extra two when they arrive ... usually chickens do better if there is at least one buddy, they don't do so well all by themselves ... five would be much better for your size of run.

What breed(s) of chickens did you order?

I'm getting 1 day old chick's
1 black astralorp
1 barred Plymouth rock
2 buff orpington
2 easter Eggers
1 rhode island red

I'll have 25 posts soon lol

If it were me ... and I wanted the variety look ... I'd try to see if someone in your area would want to buy (what you paid for them, even minus the shipping) say the breeds you ordered two of ... so you would still have five breeds ... or someone may want two of the same breed ... those are all on the larger size too.

Yeah I'll consider that. There is always a chance I'll get a rooster too. And he would have to be rehomed

I'm getting 1 day old chick's
1 black astralorp
1 barred Plymouth rock
2 buff orpington
2 easter Eggers
1 rhode island red

I'll have 25 posts soon lol
Great choice of birds. I have almost the same (my BA turned out to be a rooster) and I love all of them.
As long as your birds are going to be free ranging along with your larger pan, I'm pretty sure you can house them in a smaller coop than many tend to recommend as ideal. I did it myself with no problem.

As far as building from a playhouse, aart is right on the money that you'd have to be pretty handy and determined DIYer. I converted a playhouse just now and it was a lot of work! almost too much work, and I wished I just started from scratch many times during the process. You can see what I've done here . https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/cottage-playhouse-plastic-chicken-coop

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom