Another "Please Tell Me This is Not a Rooster" Post!

Keep an eye on him, especially around your kids! Boldness often leads to aggression later on.

If you have a rooster in your flock, the eggs will be fertilized, there's no real avoiding it. He will breed the hens, who will store his sperm, and each egg will then be fertilized before they are even laid. If you don't want them to develop, just make sure to collect eggs every day and don't leave them outside in the heat for more than 24 hours. You probably won't even see the difference between fertilized and unfertilized eggs when you break them open. Even those with experience sometimes can't tell just by looking at them!

As far as crowing, it really depends on the individual and the flock dynamics. Being the only male around might make him crow a bit earlier, but some have had cockerels not crow until nearly a year old. Basically, he could start any time, or he could wait a while yet, it's hard to say for sure.

Keep an eye on him, especially around your kids! Boldness often leads to aggression later on.

If you have a rooster in your flock, the eggs will be fertilized, there's no real avoiding it. He will breed the hens, who will store his sperm, and each egg will then be fertilized before they are even laid. If you don't want them to develop, just make sure to collect eggs every day and don't leave them outside in the heat for more than 24 hours. You probably won't even see the difference between fertilized and unfertilized eggs when you break them open. Even those with experience sometimes can't tell just by looking at them!

As far as crowing, it really depends on the individual and the flock dynamics. Being the only male around might make him crow a bit earlier, but some have had cockerels not crow until nearly a year old. Basically, he could start any time, or he could wait a while yet, it's hard to say for sure.
Thanks!
I'll definitely keep an eye on him and if any aggression is seen, he's going to go.
I'll also be quick with the egg collecting.
Hoping that if the crowing does start, it isn't too loud. The neighbors might not like that too much, which is why we took our previous rooster to the sanctuary. I guess it's just a game of wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom