Another poultry addict!

Borncountry419

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 12, 2011
Rockford, MN (near minneapolis
Didn't notice this thread (?) until after I made a few posts, so I figured I should say hello and introduce myself. I'm probably one of the younger poultry addicts (20 in April), but an addict just the same. The name's Jason, andI first started with poultry at the age of 7, and have been hooked ever since. Besides spending hundreds of dollars on my flock, I'm trying to put away money for school. I either want to go into ornithology or veterinary medicine.

This is my first year with plans to eat any of the birds I raise. I'm planning on eating my extra roosters instead of selling them dirt cheap to others that'll most likely eat them anyway. Not sure how it's going to work out for me, considering I spend enough time with the birds to the point of where I could almost predict when each one will poop. Lol. My "pet" birds all roam free, without a fence of any sort. Our adorable beagle, Cooper, keeps the predators away (although recently a mink didn't seem scared by the dog. I caught the mink, and he won't be bothering anymore birds). The waterfowl have a HUGE 13 foot deep to swim in, and the chickens enjoy eating the vegetables and flowers without permission. I'm really lucky to have an awesome family that puts up with my addiction. Of course farm fresh eggs and cute babies make it worth any downfalls.

The birds. 7 Columbian Wyandotte hens, 2 sq white silkie hens, 3 sq black silkie hens (the mink took my other silkies, including my only roosters), trio of birchen Cochin bantams, pair of white Cochin bantams, trio of TINY BBR dutch bantams, pair of TINY gold duckwing Dutch bantams, 1 blue EE roo, 1 white leghorn hen, trio of royal purple guineas, 1 tufted roman gander, 1 Toulouse goose (my gorgeous tufted roman goose was killed by a mink a few weeks back. RIP), 1 blue india peacock, 1 silver pheasant rooster, trio of red golden pheasants, trio of blue fawn calls, 1 snowy call drake, 1 apricot or light blue fawn call hen, 4 crested buff ducklings, 4 buff ducklings, 3 crested blue Swedish ducklings, 2 blue Swedish ducklings, 2 crested black swedish ducklings, 2 black Swedish ducklings, 1 khaki Campbell duckling, and 1 Rouen duckling. Tomorrow I'm picking up 4 adult muscovies (so excited to have muscovies again), end of this month I have 7 snowy mallards, 5 mallards, and 10 white mallards (ducklings) coming. Early April I have 15 assorted pullets and 10 black Sumatra coming. Now it's just a matter of trying not to buy more birds, although I doubt I'll be very successful. Lol.

Hope that was sufficient, and I hope everyone has an awesome spring with many fluffy babies!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom