Another problem

Adrienne-m

Chirping
May 4, 2020
Back again! One of my hens feathers tonight gave an awful smell, like stuck on my hands after washing them twice smell. There is come blood around but I don’t see any on her. The blood looks to be a broken toenail on my rooster. Any ideas why she would stink so bad?

You'll have to gather her up and inspect her to see where the odor is coming from.

You have a rooster that has a chronic respiratory infection or disease. Possibly this hen has sour crop, a discharge from her nostrils or eyes that smells bad? Canker inside the beak or she may just have soiled feathers?
Only you can determine where the smell is coming from.

If you noticed blood and think it's from the rooster's toenail, then take a look at that as well. Most toenail issue I leave alone, but if you have photos we'll take a look.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/please-help.1439573/page-3

You'll have to gather her up and inspect her to see where the odor is coming from.

You have a rooster that has a chronic respiratory infection or disease. Possibly this hen has sour crop, a discharge from her nostrils or eyes that smells bad? Canker inside the beak or she may just have soiled feathers?
Only you can determine where the smell is coming from.

If you noticed blood and think it's from the rooster's toenail, then take a look at that as well. Most toenail issue I leave alone, but if you have photos we'll take a look.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/please-help.1439573/page-3
I’ll take some pics this afternoon. This is my rooster who is getting plucked bald by the girls. The smell was coming from her whole body somehow. I only touched her back feathers and my whole hand stunk. I could smell it this morning when she walked by. I’m going to worm them today as well. She doesn’t have any other visible issues and this just started last night

I’ll take some pics this afternoon. This is my rooster who is getting plucked bald by the girls. The smell was coming from her whole body somehow. I only touched her back feathers and my whole hand stunk. I could smell it this morning when she walked by. I’m going to worm them today as well. She doesn’t have any other visible issues and this just started last night
Edit: the rooster with the toenail and the hen that smells

Edit: the rooster with the toenail and the hen that smells
I don't know. You'll have to look at her skin underneath her feathers to make sure she had no wounds or lesions.
If the hens are plucking the rooster bald, then you may need to provide more space.

I’ll check her out. The rooster appears to have a death wish or something because they have 2 roosts the same height that allows plenty of space yet they all crowd on the same one except for 2 girls. He shoves himself in between the cranky girls and I have to move him over by the nice ones

Back
Top Bottom