Another random egg showed up....not from my chickens

MissMonty

Songster
5 Years
Sep 12, 2015
Dayton, OH
So I found a random egg today, no idea where it came from. Its white and not quite as big or as thick as a duck egg (although I haven't had ducks on my farm in about a year at this point). I have never had a white egg laying chicken on our farm.

A couple months ago someone dumped a chicken here so its not totally out of the question it didn't happen again but I haven't seen it! I asked my husband and he said he found another egg a few days ago, assumed it was just a really old duck egg and chucked it in the woods.

I have been noticing "nests" in our hay we set out for our momma goat to feed her in the mornings, I just assumed that was a feral kitty but I looked today and it looks like it does when my chickens would get into our hay.....

This is so bizarre! I am out at the barn at least twice a day to feed momma goat and I work from home and look out the window all the time. We were out in the barn all weekend cleaning and into late last night. We haven't seen this ghost bird.

Maybe my neighbors are messing with me or something.....this is going to drive me crazy
egg.jpg

It's the ghost chicken of Christmas Past! LOL! My dog would steal an egg and then wander off with it and look at it and gently play with it--so I'd find a random egg in the lawn. But this sounds like an active little hen depositing her eggs and then off she goes. Maybe time to buy some surveillance cams! I'm curious to know now too!

It's the ghost chicken of Christmas Past! LOL! My dog would steal an egg and then wander off with it and look at it and gently play with it--so I'd find a random egg in the lawn. But this sounds like an active little hen depositing her eggs and then off she goes. Maybe time to buy some surveillance cams! I'm curious to know now too!

Yeah I have no idea at all! I'm now invested in finding this poultry ghost! We don't really live close to anyone so I have no idea where it could be coming from. We have neighbors diagonally that are about 1/4 mile each way. One has some brown egg layers in chicken tractors so not likely them and the other I don't think has any animals at all (like not even a dog). Outside of them I'm surrounded by corn fields and the next closest farm is more than a mile away.

See with our chicken that got dumped I saw her long before I saw any eggs. I'm super surprised we haven't seen anything.

So I found a random egg today, no idea where it came from. Its white and not quite as big or as thick as a duck egg (although I haven't had ducks on my farm in about a year at this point). I have never had a white egg laying chicken on our farm.

A couple months ago someone dumped a chicken here so its not totally out of the question it didn't happen again but I haven't seen it! I asked my husband and he said he found another egg a few days ago, assumed it was just a really old duck egg and chucked it in the woods.

I have been noticing "nests" in our hay we set out for our momma goat to feed her in the mornings, I just assumed that was a feral kitty but I looked today and it looks like it does when my chickens would get into our hay.....

This is so bizarre! I am out at the barn at least twice a day to feed momma goat and I work from home and look out the window all the time. We were out in the barn all weekend cleaning and into late last night. We haven't seen this ghost bird.

Maybe my neighbors are messing with me or something.....this is going to drive me crazy
View attachment 2458255
I read that some chickens lose the egg coloring after awhile and their eggs will become white. It was said that certain pigments are part of the shells and stay that way, and others are not. Those ones are "colored" on the outside of the shells and get lighter and lighter with time because that chicken only has a certain amount of pigment (whatever its called) in her system/dna/whatever and then she eventually "runs out", if that makes sense. I thought that was really interesting. Wondering if this might be the case with yours?

I read that some chickens lose the egg coloring after awhile and their eggs will become white. It was said that certain pigments are part of the shells and stay that way, and others are not. Those ones are "colored" on the outside of the shells and get lighter and lighter with time because that chicken only has a certain amount of pigment (whatever its called) in her system/dna/whatever and then she eventually "runs out", if that makes sense. I thought that was really interesting. Wondering if this might be the case with yours?

I mean my girls have been locked up for the past week while we finish up the coop so they haven't been free ranging in a while. They have had consistent egg shell color

I mean my girls have been locked up for the past week while we finish up the coop so they haven't been free ranging in a while. They have had consistent egg shell color
Then it has to be one of your chickens, right? Come to think of it, the same thing happened to mine. I don't have any that lay white eggs. But all of a sudden I had a white one in the bunch. So it seemed. But I think it was more of a cream color. It happened again about a week or so later. So just maybe...

Then it has to be one of your chickens, right? Come to think of it, the same thing happened to mine. I don't have any that lay white eggs. But all of a sudden I had a white one in the bunch. So it seemed. But I think it was more of a cream color. It happened again about a week or so later. So just maybe...

They've been locked up as in away from where this egg was in my garage. This happened last night when all three of my girls were in.

Back
Top Bottom