Another Roo or Pullet thread ! :)

That one is tough-- the comb is small, but there is a little bit of pink coloring creeping in, and it is early for that. So I'm nowhere near being sure, but my hunch is that it is a cockerel. I would give it a chance to prove me wrong, though.
Would play fighting be an indicator for gender as well? All of them except the buff on the right will engage in roughhousing as soon as they get out in the am.

69166081-CA0E-408E-A9F6-55BF7729CDAA.jpeg 6D7BA1E6-DFC3-49B0-8FBF-D32196B1BA2B.jpeg 220CDC3D-784C-4593-87BA-D702CB1DCBA7.jpeg
Not really a reliable indicator as pullets will do that too. I think physical traits are a more reliable way to sex chickens than behavior.

So I think I just witness the latter part of the light grey chick trying to mate with the mom... jumped on her and seemed like he or she was pulling on her neck feathers or comb. Would that indicate that it’s not a pullet?

Nope - my most docile hen was a pushy baby and the "sweetheart" peep is a now real stinker!
Interesting! Her comb is smaller and just a little pink but her attitude makes me wonder what she really is... changes day by day it seems.

Back
Top Bottom