Another School Shooting

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by thaiturkey, Jan 16, 2013.

1. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    The story below hardly seems to have attracted public comment and yet it is an example of real courage on the part of a teacher.

As it happens, it occurred in the same country as other recent shootings. Perhaps there are copycats about who think that they can exact revenge on classmates as demonstrated by others or simply get some public recognition, however negative.

This is the news story from the BBC website:

11 January 2013 Last updated at 01:44 GMT

Californian teacher talks student out of school shooting

[​IMG]
    Kern County Sheriff's Office said a teacher managed to talk the gunman down

A teacher at a high school in California has been praised by police for averting a serious shooting incident.
    The teacher and a campus supervisor talked a gunman into putting down his weapon after he had shot and injured one pupil at Taft Union High School.
    Police said the gunman had enough ammunition to kill many people.
    The injured student was taken to hospital in an air ambulance and is in a critical condition.
    The drama started after 09:00 local time (17:00 GMT) when the gunman, also a student, arrived late, armed with a shotgun, at the school in the small town in California's central valley.
    Students and staff telephoned police, but before officers could arrive, the suspect had shot at two people in a class in the science block. One shot missed its target.
    The teacher, who had been grazed by a pellet, then intervened.
    [​IMG]
    He and another school official who entered the classroom are reported by US media to have warned the suspect that there would be no shooting in his class - at which point the gunman put down his weapon and police officers arrested him.
    "They talked him into putting that shotgun down. He in fact told the teacher, `I don't want to shoot you,' and named the person that he wanted to shoot," Kern County Sheriff Donny Youngblood said.
    "The heroics of these two people goes without saying. They could have just as easily... tried to get out of the classroom and left students, and they didn't," he added. "
    Parents of pupils said the suspect had been suspended last year from the school 120 miles (190km) north of Los Angeles.
    Deputies from the local sheriff''s office and town officials conducted a search of the school and its grounds to make sure no-one else was involved and all other students were safe.
    The shooting comes four weeks after a gunman killed 26 pupils and staff at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut.
    That incident has provoked a nationwide debate about gun laws in the US. Vice-President Joe Biden has said his task force on gun control will make its recommendations to President Barack Obama as early as Tuesday.
    Taft Union High School will be closed for classes on Friday, but will have counsellors on campus to talk to worried students.
    Former pupils of the school include the distinguished US Air Force pilot, General Gordon Graham, the American football player Russell Letlow and the television actress Jeanne Cooper.

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I heard of that one. It's amazing that there were shots fired and yet the teacher still managed to talk the kid down.

3. Daddas1Punkin

Daddas1Punkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Ca.
    My parents used to live there. I'm glad they moved when i was 2 mo. old!

4. thaiturkey

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    The teacher was injured too. Very brave and it's good to see a non-violent end to a violent incident.

5. NCReb

NCReb Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2013
    I think it's not getting any attention because the media likes body counts, not heroes. Bad news sells, I guess. [​IMG]You'd think a person as heroic as that teacher would get at least some national attention.

6. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    When I was a in high school we had a kid take our class hostage for about 10 minutes. He had gotten a hold of his dads glock. He was later diagnosed bipolar and probably had some other issues too. He let everyone go after some of the girls started crying then gave himself up about an hour later. This was a few months after Columbine. I think I saw one article on it in a local newspaper and it got a ten second blurb on a major station. That's it.

7. thaiturkey

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    The media disinterest in good news is probably, as you both indicate, the reason for the lack of exposure. Teachers who succeed i preventing a massacre are as heroic as the ones who are killed.

There has to be something wrong at home when kids, specially ones known to have mental or emotional issues, can get hold of a family member's gun.

8. NCReb

NCReb Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2013
    IMO, a gun safe is a good idea, ESPECIALLY if somebody has mentally ill/emotionally troubled kids. When we can afford one, my family is getting a safe simply for robbery prevention. It's a simple precaution that'd go a long way to preventing another Newtown.

9. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington

In the case of the kid at my school, his dad did have a safe and normally kept it in there,kid found the code somehow and his dad didn't check the safe for almost a month. But he also refused to see his sons problems. He said he just thought his son was 'moody'. I also had concerns about his family generally neglecting him. He was physically cared for, fed and clothed, but neither of his parents seemed to have time for him. They just didn't pay attention to him.

10. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I'm personaly glad it's NOT selling because I feel that the more they cover these perpetrators, the more it's going to happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by