Another Sex Link Question - This time Red Sex Links

Quote:
A RIR male and RIW female do produce a sex-linked offspring, don't they?

At least that is what the feathersite.com page that you and I both linked says.

Yes, they do, because the RIW, as I said above, is often genetically silver. This is the recipe for the Hubbard ISA Brown, from what I've read.

I am sure you are much more knowledgeable about this. I prefaced my first post with "As I understand it" and later admitted that I made an assumption based upon feathersite.com which says that RIR (male) x RIW (female) produce a sexlinked offspring. I hope I have not gotten you upset, it was not my intention, I am just trying to better understand.

One more question and then I will bow out so that the thread does not become overly contentious.

If the "white" in a RIW is not from the sex-linked silver gene, then a RIR (male) x RIW (female) would not reliably produce a sex-linked offspring, would it?

Quote:
Yes, they do, because the RIW, as I said above, is often genetically silver. This is the recipe for the Hubbard ISA Brown, from what I've read.

I am sure you are much more knowledgeable about this. I prefaced my first post with "As I understand it" and later admitted that I made an assumption based upon feathersite.com which says that RIR (male) x RIW (female) produce a sexlinked offspring. I hope I have not gotten you upset, it was not my intention, I am just trying to better understand.

One more question and then I will bow out so that the thread does not become overly contentious.

If the "white" in a RIW is not from the sex-linked silver gene, then a RIR (male) x RIW (female) would not reliably produce a sex-linked offspring, would it?

smile.png
, I'm not upset, just trying to be emphatic and clear. It's perfectly fine to ask questions, and I'm happy to answer them if I can. While I'm not a real expert, I have a decent working knowledge of basic genetics, and since I breed Delawares (which are genetically silver), I know how that gene works.

If the "white" in a RIW were one of the other white genes besides silver, then no, it would not produce a sex-linked chick, because both parents contribute these genes equally. It is only silver that works for sex-linkage, because silver and gold (red) are carried on the sex chromosome.

Tim, your question about black sex-links works in the same way as red sex-links, but uses a different gene--the barring gene.

Recessive white rarely interferes with creating a sex-link because both parents must contribute a copy for white to show up in the offspring. Dominant white, however only needs one copy (from either parent) to show up in the offspring, so using a breed known to carry dominant white can easily mess up the sex-link cross.

Back
Top Bottom