Another She that's a He?

Catnip5

Chirping
May 18, 2015
Harpswell, Maine
I haven't heard a crow from this other hen of mine. The OE has been confirmed as a Roo and he's found his morning voice. He seems to take issue with my Blue Cochin Anna - pictured here - which is making me wonder if Anna is an Andy? I hope not but better to know now that later!
Take a peek at the pics oh wise ones and let me know your verdict. I have 17 girls and one unexpected Roo now...if Anna is a Roo that would make 16 girls with 2 Roos - what's the ideal ratio of hens to roos? They are pasture raised within an electric fence so they do have room to roam if that makes any difference on dominance & mating.

THANKS - studying up! EEK - they uploaded sideways? SORRY

Last edited:
Good news, that's a pullet. What a beautiful girl! 1 male to 8-10 females is a pretty safe ratio for minimal fighting and bare backs.

Last edited:
Phew, what a relief! Funny that the OE Roo seems to "challenge" her...that's why I wondered. Maybe because she's so fluffy, LOL! Thanks! That's a relief. One Roo at a time for this relative newbie. I'm only in my second year here and it was never my intention to have a Rooster. Still I'm secretly excited to have one and to witness the changes in the flock dynamic (not to mention eventual CHICKS :)

Back
Top Bottom