Another Sick Turkey Poult

I do have the other two isolated as well and am keeping an eye on them. I finally found a vet who treats turkeys and I'm bringing it in first thing tomorrow morning. I'm definitely going to be asking the vet about all that and see if I can stock up on all that. My in-laws have had chickens for about 10 years now and the only problem they've had with them is bumble foot. Turkeys are becoming more high maintenance (which I'm totally fine with, I have a good bond with the adult ones). Thank you so much for the advice. I'll keep you posted.

I have found turkeys to be much higher maintenance than chickens as well. I used to show chickens and you never know what kind of illness you may encounter at shows so I always stayed stocked up just in case. My chickens have been robust and healthy for the most part and we cull weakness and any non-thriving birds.

I pray you get some answers from the vet and are able to save your little one. It's hard to lose them.

What did you find from the vet visit?
Unfortunately the turkey went downhill fast and passed away overnight. I still thought it had it had a chance since it was still walking and drinking yesterday, but I guess that wasn't in the cards. If we have another turkey that falls in, at first symptom we are taking it to the vet, but so far the rest of the flock seems ok, even the one that was in contact with the sick one before symptoms started.

So sorry to hear that.
Please also remember that a necropsy is typically quite affordable if you take it to a state sanctioned facility.

You can contact your state’s Extensions Office to get some leads.

Also, if you have a university nearby with a veterinary program, that is typically the best way to go in my experience. They will often do the necro for a very low charge, and charge little for any additional tests that you’d like to run.

Should you lose another, and decide to go that route, refrigerate the bird until you can transport- don’t freeze it.

Hope you never need to use that knowledge 💕

Last edited:
I unfortunately did lose another poult (with different symptoms). Took it to a vet two days after symptoms started and it died at the vets. With basic physical exam and a fecal test, tests came back negative with common turkey ailments (at the moment can't afford much more). They are stumped as well. Tried calling and emailing the lady that is the poultry expert at the Extension Office, but she hasn't gotten back yet. I now have another poult who is itching like crazy and tapping its feet in irritation, but no other symptoms. Going to bring that one along with a healthy sibling to the vet per her request tomorrow. I am so lost and confused. They all seem to have different symptoms with the same outcome. It is my first year hatching my own turkeys and I am trying to learn from each one that doesn't make it.

I unfortunately did lose another poult (with different symptoms). Took it to a vet two days after symptoms started and it died at the vets. With basic physical exam and a fecal test, tests came back negative with common turkey ailments (at the moment can't afford much more). They are stumped as well. Tried calling and emailing the lady that is the poultry expert at the Extension Office, but she hasn't gotten back yet. I now have another poult who is itching like crazy and tapping its feet in irritation, but no other symptoms. Going to bring that one along with a healthy sibling to the vet per her request tomorrow. I am so lost and confused. They all seem to have different symptoms with the same outcome. It is my first year hatching my own turkeys and I am trying to learn from each one that doesn't make it.
Did they check to see if it died of blackhead? What were the bird's symptoms before it passed? I greatly feel your stress and frustration. I have felt it from the first time I tried to raise turkeys on the property we own now. Blackhead wasn't an issue on our property where my husband and I lived when we first got married. The turkeys I had there were never affected and didn't even know blackhead was a thing then. I was young. But it is in the ground where we live now and I have experienced blackhead in every turkey venture I've attempted since. We are still in the same state, but a different county but still close. We have always had chickens, then and now. However, the histostat that prevented blackhead may have still been in the turkey feed then. My turkeys are doing well now but I have to watch them like a hawk and treat them at the first subtle symptom. Turkeys aren't as robust and resilient as chickens.

Did they check to see if it died of blackhead? What were the bird's symptoms before it passed? I greatly feel your stress and frustration. I have felt it from the first time I tried to raise turkeys on the property we own now. Blackhead wasn't an issue on our property where my husband and I lived when we first got married. The turkeys I had there were never affected and didn't even know blackhead was a thing then. I was young. But it is in the ground where we live now and I have experienced blackhead in every turkey venture I've attempted since. We are still in the same state, but a different county but still close. We have always had chickens, then and now. However, the histostat that prevented blackhead may have still been in the turkey feed then. My turkeys are doing well now but I have to watch them like a hawk and treat them at the first subtle symptom. Turkeys aren't as robust and resilient as chickens.
I didn't think to ask. The vet did the fecal test (that's all I can afford at the moment) and it came back negative for common turkey ailments. With that and a physical exam the vet was stumped. Next time a turkey is sick she asked me to bring in a healthy one as well for comparison .

As of right now we have had 4 poults die from different symptoms. The first had respiratory problems (sneezing and runny nose) which cleared up and 3 weeks later a swollen leg and a week later died. The next two had something with the their eyes (they looked sleepy with their eyes half shut with some crusting but not swollen). One passed two days later and the other five days later. The 4th (the one that ended up at the vet) had swelling above the beak. Vet found no physical signs of respiratory problems, but did find an open wound under the wing (I hadn't witnessed aggression in any those poults). This one died at the vet. I currently have a poult (from the same group as the 4th one who is excessively itching and tapping its feet in irritation. I don't see anything on its skin that may be causing irritation. The skin does have slight flaking but maybe that's due to adult feathers coming in (almost 4 weeks old)?

I'm gonna run it by the vet the next time I see her, but my current theory is that something is suppressing their immune system allowing for secondary infections to set in (which would explain the carried symptoms). Up until 4 weeks, I clean brooder and food/water daily then it's every 2-3 days in the transition brooder. They start getting sick around 3-4 weeks.

I currently have a poult (from the same group as the 4th one who is excessively itching and tapping its feet in irritation. I don't see anything on its skin that may be causing irritation. The skin does have slight flaking but maybe that's due to adult feathers coming in (almost 4 weeks old)?
Mange, or scaly face/leg mites? The mites are invisible but they itch.

Mange, or scaly face/leg mites? The mites are invisible but they itch.
That's what we are thinking. Due to the weekend, I can't get in touch with the vet, but upon advise from someone with poultry experience and then my own research, we are trying diatomaceous earth. Not sure if that'll help.

That's what we are thinking. Due to the weekend, I can't get in touch with the vet, but upon advise from someone with poultry experience and then my own research, we are trying diatomaceous earth. Not sure if that'll help.
Diatomaceous earth will not help. If mites are bad enough that it is making them sick, you might want to try ivermectin pour-on. Permethrin dust can help too.

Back
Top Bottom