Another Silkie post

Faraz1

Songster
Aug 16, 2019
So i have 4 silkie chicks that are around 9 weeks old. Can you all please help in sexing them. I suspect 2 male and 2 female based on tail colors and wing colors. Pics attached.

Attachments

• bird4.jpeg
    bird4.jpeg
    562.6 KB · Views: 40
  • bird3.jpeg
    bird3.jpeg
    482 KB · Views: 21
  • bird2.jpeg
    bird2.jpeg
    543.6 KB · Views: 20
  • bird1.jpeg
    bird1.jpeg
    641.7 KB · Views: 19
So i have 4 silkie chicks that are around 9 weeks old. Can you all please help in sexing them. I suspect 2 male and 2 female based on tail colors and wing colors. Pics attached.
They are going to be so pretty! I have 4-month old silkies and couldn't tell you sexes yet. Sorry but usually it's more around five to six months, sometimes even longer before silkies can be positively sexed. The only other way around it is DNA testing.

When you take pictures next time, get a pic from the front. Generally, male silkies get more of a walnut type comb where females grow more of a little comb, but it's still too early to tell that definitively.

Thanks, i was thinking the greenish tail feathers would indicate it would be a rooster because most roosters have thad greenish tail feathers. Oh well i guess time will tell.

They all look like pullets to me, but it’s too early to accurately tell. Nothing screams cockerel.

Pictures from the front showing the comb would help a lot. They're still pretty young though, so getting an accurate guess at this age is hard. If I had to guess, I'd say Bird1 looks the most like a pullet. The rest don't scream cockerel, but I can't really comment on them without seeing their combs first.
Hens can also have green or blue sheen on their feathers. It all depends on the quality of pigment. You typically notice it more on adult roosters and their big shiny tails, but hens also have it.

Here is a picture of my silkie pullet. She has blue sheen on her wings. It's actually all over her feathers but is more noticeable in the wing area.
20230908_105329.png

Back
Top Bottom