Another sleeping in the run question

Removing the roost in the run for a week or so may encourage them to go in the coop.

Personally, if the run is secure, I would chose another battle to fight and let them sleep where they want. If there is a reason they don't want to be in the coop, such as bullying, mites, ventilation, etc., I would fix it, but since you've already investigated potential issues, I would leave them be.
If anything, it could be due to bullying. I'll check for mites, but 6 of the 8 are roosting inside. I don't know anything about mites , but the birds have only been here three weeks and the coop and run were new then. I'm hoping it didn't get infested that fast! They are all healthy and happy and all are laying pretty much every day.

As far as choosing another battle, I get it. If I knew they'd go in on their own when the weather turns, I'd be happy to leave them out there. I'll have no choice but to address it when winter comes back around, and will it be that much more difficult then?

I'll check for mites, but 6 of the 8 are roosting inside. I don't know anything about mites , but the birds have only been here three weeks and the coop and run were new then. I'm hoping it didn't get infested that fast!
They may have come with the birds....IF it is mites.

My Bug Check notes:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

If anything, it could be due to bullying. I'll check for mites, but 6 of the 8 are roosting inside. I don't know anything about mites , but the birds have only been here three weeks and the coop and run were new then. I'm hoping it didn't get infested that fast! They are all healthy and happy and all are laying pretty much every day.

As far as choosing another battle, I get it. If I knew they'd go in on their own when the weather turns, I'd be happy to leave them out there. I'll have no choice but to address it when winter comes back around, and will it be that much more difficult then?
When the weather turns, lock everyone in the coop for a week or so. That is usually enough to retrain them. They will act like you're killing them, but don't give in. Chickens lie.

Really nice set up, thank you for posting the article!

Removing the roost in the run for a week or so may encourage them to go in the coop.

Personally, if the run is secure, I would chose another battle to fight and let them sleep where they want. If there is a reason they don't want to be in the coop, such as bullying, mites, ventilation, etc., I would fix it, but since you've already investigated potential issues, I would leave them be.

I agree on trying to remove the higher roost in the run for a week, to see if that makes the one inside the coop more appealing, otherwise I could see just leaving them to their own devices on this, at least until winter.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. It looks like simply putting them in the coop a couple of times was all it took. The last night I had to do anything, I came out at dusk and ordered the two loiterers to go inside and they did, lol! Since then they've been going in again on their own. Hopefully it was a short rebellion. 🤞🤞🤞

It's very dark inside the coop, we're in the country without neighbors nearby or street lights. There is a string of very soft lights along the outside of the run, that give the run a soft glow for a few hours starting at dusk.
We are the same. Maybe if you put a same run of soft lights inside the coop the chickens will be able to see their way in better. Mine were always late going to bed and sometimes getting locked out so I got some solar fairy lights and put them in the coop and they go in with no bother now. Just got to make sure I change the timer on the pop door as the days lengthen.

We are the same. Maybe if you put a same run of soft lights inside the coop the chickens will be able to see their way in better. Mine were always late going to bed and sometimes getting locked out so I got some solar fairy lights and put them in the coop and they go in with no bother now. Just got to make sure I change the timer on the pop door as the days lengthen.
Huh, I never thought it would be too dark inside. 🤔 I'll keep that in mind if they decide to stay out again. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom