1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

another snake

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by duck walk, Sep 28, 2009.

1. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    I have the dumbest bunch of snakes in the world stealing "eggs" from my nest boxes...yet again I was reaching in the nest to gather the eggs and up pops a big old snake head...a depends moment...I grab a rake and drag his self outside and he has a big bulge right behind his spade head...whack whack whack with a shovel...head comes off and out pops a ping pong ball...I have been missing eggs and ping pong balls...but mostly ping pong balls...what is up with these retarded snakes? This isn't the first time and probably wont be the last...

2. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    if it looks like an egg.... snakes will eat it. probably saved him from a painful death from not being able to digest a non edible object. you did it the most quick and painless. glad it's not taking any chickens. keep a look out for more....

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  3. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG] It certainly would have been a "Depends" moment for me also!!!![​IMG]

4. fostina1

fostina1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2009
    Waverly, Tn
    ya, im missing a couple of plastic toy eggs from my nestbox too. stupid snakes lol. i suppose they are warm from the hen sitting on them while laying another one. snakes only see heat so if its a little warm theres a good chance of it getting eaten.

5. mikeksfarmer

mikeksfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Bonner springs KS
    Next year at this time you will complain about rats and mice. I am sorry for you loss of an egg.

6. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    nah...wasn't complaining...just observing and never knew they would ingest ping pong balls...just part of my education...judging from the bounce back in production today, he and his relatives have probably been nailing my eggs regularly...his butt, oh, he doesn't have a butt, is hanging on the fence as a note to the wise...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  7. allison finch

allison finch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Snakes go by smell. After a ball has been in a nest, it will have the right smell. Often, the snake will regurge an inedible meal and not die.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Most egg stealing snakes are beneficial- I used hardware cloth around the bottom 2 feet of the pens. The snakes don't bother with going over, and I have no mice, rats or roaches anymore.

9. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    I love snakes. They are beneficial animals. When I don't have small chicks around I "order" non-venomous gopher snakes from my friend (an animal control officer) and let them go around here to eat the gophers and vermin. Works great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by