another stupid duck question for shelter can they stay in the barn with the chichens goats and donke

abhaya

Songster
12 Years
Nov 5, 2010
cookeville, tn
all mt other critters share a barn no predator problems with the goats will the ducks bo ok in there too do I need to build the a special area in the barn as I dont think runner roost up high like chickens I can build them a little house in a corner

I think a little shelter in the corner would keep them from getting stepped on or startled too much, I would use half inch metal hardware cloth over openings just to be on the safe side. Nice to have a barn, I would think. Good to read your question before winter sets in.

Runners don't roost, no, they like some nice deep bedding to snuggle in to, though.

Having both runners and goats, I would say that having a dedicated area in the barn really is a good idea. First of all, if it is not blocked off somehow the goats and or other animals in there may eat the duck food. My goats will do anything they can to steal the ducks food and they are not living in the same quarters. It is a constant battle to keep them out of it. Plus then the chance of them getting hurt is lessened. Just make sure it is big enough so that the food and water can be far enough apart, and that it is in a spot where they are safe. Make sure there is enough ventilation, and that you can easily clean it. I use straw in our shed in the winter and they love picking through it and snuggling down in it.

It probably wouldn't hurt to offer an area, mind you i have ducks that wander around horses and i even had some try and "nest" right underfoot in the barn. They even made the horses back off with their hissing lol

Food and water issues could be resolved by not having it in the barn, ducks are SUPER messy with water, i am slowly removing most of mine here as the mess overnight is beyond.

Basically i'd be prepared to have to separate if it goes all wrong.

I have ducks, chickens, and goats and they all stay in one big barn. I have two seperate parts to it, one for the goats when they first walk in, and then the ducks and chickens have a seperate part with a small door that the goats are too big to fit through. In there I have the duck and chicken food and the water, however it does get very messy. The chickens have their nesting boxes and a high roost and the ducks have a dog crate that they curl up in.
The ducks normally ignore the goats and I think it would be fine if u gave them a box in the corner. That would be pretty similar to what I have.
Good luck
- Hannah

I'm thinking of doing something quite similar with mine. You can see photos of my coop from the link under my avatar. Basically I've got a section of my barn turned into a coop for my flock of chooks (17), and I intend to add a couple silkies (nesters) and a couple ducks over the next month or so. I'll also be adding two (or three lol) Nigerian dwarf goats, so I will essentially have a pen for the goats, the coop for the chickens, and probably see which side of the barn the ducks get along the best. May build them a ramp and some nesting area in the goatpen.

Cheers!

Have I shown you my watering station?

A quick pick up of the top layer of poo once a day, scoop out the soaked stuff every couple of days, refresh the sawdust pellets a couple of times a week, wipe down the sides as needed.

Only about five inches just outside the doorway gets damp at all, and that is easily picked up with daily cleaning. I toss a little sawdust right there.

Back
Top Bottom