Another successful flock integration!

Mtnboomer

Crowing
Mar 17, 2019
Southwest Virginia (mountains)
We just finished butchering the remaining cull birds of another young flock (6mo old) and adding the "keepers" to our free range adult flock. It went off without a hitch!
There were virtually no squabbling at all which is always a plus. The free range flock has now doubled in size to 14 and has a new rooster. I love seeing all the birds roaming the yard and getting the freedom to enjoy the world.
The "old man" (not that old at 14 mos) who used to run with the hens was replaced due to some aggression issues. His successor that is 8mos his younger is actually bigger than he was at 8.5 lbs already. Hopefully his bulk will help deter our local hawks from taking a swipe at them as some of the new young hens are dainty little things.

Its always nice to reduce the chore load of having 2 flocks even if its only for a month or so before we hatch our spring chicks.
Thanks for listening! I always get excited for changes in the flock dynamics and this time I just thought I'd share it.

1614698617820.png
1614698617820.png
1614698617820.png

No. The younger birds are kept in a conventional coop and run set up adjacent to the free range coop. I do this so that the whole time the poults are growing they are in view of the older birds. I often throw scratch down the fencelibe so they feed "together" the closer we get to integration day.

The day they flocks are joined, I let the older birds out as usual. Then if my schedule permits, add the new birds in the afternoon. This way the old hens have had their chance to still come and go and lay an egg earlier in the day, the young ones get a few hours in the coop alone begore everyone cones in gor the night, then the older ones come home and seem more interested flying up to roost than fighting.
The next day, they all stay in the coop together so the new birds learn where to return to roost.
The 2nd day the door is opened and they all go out together.

So far, they have all returned to the coop on their own except the rooster. He has been there but can't figure out how to follow his girlfriends inside for the night. So i have hsd to go down and put him through the door by hand. It always serms that thjs is the way with roosters...a little slow on the uptake.

Butcher day is both welcomed and dreaded. Love the fresh meat in the freezer and for dinner but it can be a lot of work. Luckily this time we only had to cull 5 birds so it wasnt a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom