Another "they won't go in at night" query -- with auto-door twist!

Sigh... So: Kept 'em in the house for a day, then let 'em out yesterday morning. No sign of trouble while they were inside, no pecking, blood... Gave them some scraps outside, 'cause I couldn't figure out how they were going to like scraps in their deep litter. Came home last night... and they were all outside, miserable in the rain, waiting outside their door.

When I hold open the door, they don't scoot right in, but then, after dark, chickens don't do much. But they didn't reists, either, and appear happy once in.

I don't get it!!!

sounds to me like they dont like the door..... something about it opening and closing all by itself that scares them - no "human" around
gig.gif
They've been "humanized"
big_smile.png

No seriously, from what you just wrote, sounds like the door is the issue...
sad.png

ETA: When was the last time you changed their litter? I know you said you were throwing scraps in there - maybe the composting gases from the scraps combined with the composting of their own poop is just too much for them? Is the litter wet? Do they have adequate ventilation? I know you're doing deep litter - I just switched to doing it myself a few weeks back, but... I dont throw scraps inside my coop and I also turn the shavings every other day to incorporate the fresh poop. I also use Food Grade DE now that I'm doing deep litter to help dry out the poop along with the smell and to combat mites and whatever else gets inside there. I do have side vents on either side at the top of my coop that are open about 2-3 inches (but have louvered flaps in case weather gets bad) to allow for ventilation/cross ventilation as well as the pop door open, but also covered with the plastic strips over 3/4 of it.

SOMETHING is scaring them enough that they refuse to go in (door) or...something is IN the coop that they dont like (wet shavings, not enough ventilation, mites, etc). Its one of those options...

Last edited:
I dont think you should have to throw your chickens into their coop at night though - they should willingly go in if they were raised in it - and apparantly from what you're saying - they used to do just that. Mine were raised in theirs and every night they go inside all on their own... unless its too nice outside (been in the 40's at night now here) so they stay outside on their night time roose (they're in a 12X12 dog pen to keep them safe from predators thats surrounded with wire) OR something is inside the coop, like mites or a critter.

If they stayed outside and got soaking wet... something inside is off for them. Perhaps changing the entire bedding then look the entire coop over really good with a high powered spot light/flash light for mites and, just thought of something - look for mold too. If they cant breath well, they'll want to stay outside to get fresh air. Replace all the bedding for deep litter (what are you using for that, pine shavings?) and start again... see where it takes you. Do not put scraps of food in the litter, you can put scratch in it to make the chickens help turn it, but thats all I'd put in.

Have you looked over every chicken for mites and/or lice as well?

Last edited:
Quote:
"Is it OK to leave their door shut and keep them in their house for a day or two"

Yes Also I give mine some treats in the coop and they all go in for their treatd then I shut their pop door.

Back
Top Bottom