another thing I noticed, is it a regular thing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by curliet, Oct 17, 2008.

1. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    The other day I was noticing that when my chickens go into the nest box they pick up small pieces of bedding anf try to put them on their backs. Is this normal, or are my hens really weird? I even saw one that came out of the coop after laying an egg, and was picking up leaves off the ground and trying to toss them over her shoulder onto her back. What does this mean?

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I've never seen that before, maybe they are doing it for good luck [​IMG]

3. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Mine do it too....I think it's very normal.

4. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never seen my hens do this, but I'll check the next time they lay... might be a while since they're moulting [​IMG]

...or maybe you have a couple goofy little gals [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I just watched my Welsummer, Alma, do that after laying her second egg. It's just normal behavior. What it means I really dont know.

6. derby

derby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Boonsboro, MD
    Mine do it.

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

It's an innate thing , I guess. My cockatiels will do it occasionally, and lovebirds are famous for taking tiny twigs or strips of paper and sticking them in between their rump feathers until they've got a collection that could double for a hula skirt! It's so charming to watch them working so diligently to store up nesting materials. [​IMG]

8. porteryork

porteryork Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    Mine do it as well. Rosie, our Hamburg, actually looks like she is pulling a blanket up around her. Pray for Rosie......she is missing.....[​IMG]

Michelle

9. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    well, that makes me feel better. The other thing that I noticed was that my BO roo, Buff, stands on one leg and holds the other one next to his head. then he wiggles his head back and forth on his foot to scratch it. Not a very good description, hope ya get what I mean, haha.

10. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    when it falls off their backs, it arranges into a nest. that's my interpretation of it. there's a purpose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by