Another thread on mites

Sevin dust is a garden dust should be fine. If you use the concentrate like the pic I posted earlier I believe it has an egg withdrawal of like two weeks. Sevin I believe does too just don't remember they removed the section for poultry they used to have for years. You can find old threads discussing this but seven is cheap and easy also the poultry dust has no withdrawal period and it does work. I just noticed sevin dust takes it out faster is all. I ate eggs using it and never got sick. Also the concentrate will take it out completely and use it to spray the coop for mites.

If it's bad I recommend the concentrate and the sevin or poultry dust. Take them all out also the concentrate should last you a long time its a little spendy but since you keep multiple pens it might be worth your investment.

It's not overbreeding. I know this because it's in 3 of my six pens, and they have 1 roo to 5 hens. There's no sign of bald heads which they would also have if they were being overbred. The wing feathers are actually ragged, almost moth eaten looking on one bird. Since I know they're getting enough protein and calcium, that kind of leaves mites.

I'm checking Sevin and other options (including diatomaceous earth as a preventative once the infestation is gone). I am concerned with toxicity since two of my pens are on one of my garden beds, and I plant food in those when I move the quail off of them.
My Coturnix have started the same thing (losing back feathers, looking ragged, temperamental and aggressive towards me) and they stopped laying, their food & water intake dropped drastically.
I was thinking mites also but wonder if this is just molting? they are about 5months old now.
Did you ever figure out the root cause?

Some of mine also have the slightly swollen eyelids that are a symptom of mites. I'm sure it's mites. I'm trying to figure a way to safely apply Sevin before I buy some. I may have to move the birds off of my garden bed. I don't want it in the soil that I grow food in.

Your description of their feather condition, sounds like depluming mites (Neocnemidocoptes gallinae) they burrow into the skin at the base of the feather shaft....that's why you don't see them, unless using high magnification. They cause intense irritation and feather pulling.
Ivermectin is the recommended treatment for depluming mites.
Picture1-300x224.png
bulletin-of-the-british-ornithologists-club-1960-163-vol-80-insertions-and-it-was-concluded-in...jpg
400.jpg

With ivermectin, should I be using drops on the skin or using it internally? I've never had to medicate my birds before.
Apply it to the skin. It won't hurt you either if you get it on yourself....3rd world countries use it for Covid 19....of course, it's taken internally for Covid.

Back
Top Bottom