another use for pallets

Made from 1 scrap pallet

Very creative idea. If I can get around to it this summer, I want to make two planters from pallets for the front of my shed.

Ever see this YouTube video about pallet uses....short and good!

I've gotten them from Lowe's, local electric supply store, local carpet store, local big box drug store (CVS) and almost any other place I've seen them. I always ask the owner or store manager first in case they belong to a specific company. If they don't, most places are happy to let you take them since they have to pay to have them hauled away.

Several years ago I built a 16' x16' shed out of pallets and mahogany piano crates, and no one would believe me when I told them what it was made out of. I looked for larger pallets and broke most of them down. I will say it is a lot of work. One of the most important things I did was to use smaller boards to build up 2 x 4's and 4 x 4's nails and sometimes a little glue, but mostly nails. Cut tounge and grove on boards and use them like siding. I will admit I didnt realize how much work it would be, but it was hardwood, recycling, and free material, so I couldnt resist. I will try to find some Pics to post. I used translucent fiberglass sheets for the roof sheeting. I am thinking about building a pallet chicken coupe.

Several years ago I built a 16' x16' shed out of pallets and mahogany piano crates, and no one would believe me when I told them what it was made out of. I looked for larger pallets and broke most of them down. I will say it is a lot of work. One of the most important things I did was to use smaller boards to build up 2 x 4's and 4 x 4's nails and sometimes a little glue, but mostly nails. Cut tounge and grove on boards and use them like siding. I will admit I didnt realize how much work it would be, but it was hardwood, recycling, and free material, so I couldnt resist. I will try to find some Pics to post. I used translucent fiberglass sheets for the roof sheeting. I am thinking about building a pallet chicken coupe.

Wow! That does sound like a lot of work. Yes, please post a few pics of the shed. I'd like to see it.

bachbach1, I got some large pallets from a sheet metal shop, they were 12ft long, and all hardwood. The 4x4's underneath were rough sawn oak and hard as cement. I was going to use them for the corners of my raised 4x8 coop but as I started using them I kept breaking screws, so I decided to drill pilot holes and the drills started breaking, so I found something softer to use, and plan on using the oak for some raised beds in the garden. good luck with your coop

If you are having problems drilling the oak, be sure to poke your drill in a bit then pull it back out to get the saw dust out of it, if it stops up the spiral groves with oak, it is all over, LOL. Also if you get a bar of plain ivory soap, and stick the screw into the ivory, by hand then pull it out, it lubricates the screw, and helps it go into the oak. Using a larger diameter screw helps too, I had to do all of these on the shed I built. An old man showed me that ivory trick a long time ago, it helps.

Back
Top Bottom