Another visitor to the yard

Pelican49

Songster
11 Years
Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Yesterday, when my daughter got home from work, I heard her get out of the car and say to her son, "watch where you're walking, don't step on him".

I think this is a male as he's not very big, the ones I've seen with egg sacks or babies are quite a bit bigger. Had to keep the dogs in for a while and give him time to move on safely.

100_2165.jpg

It looks a lot like a wolf spider which are actually quite beneficial to having around. They eat brown recluse (or scare them off for territory - can't remember which) and are pretty harmless otherwise. Either that or a tarantula!

Wolf spiders often come in the house and they can JUMP!

I 'catch' spiders under a plastic cup, slide a sheet of paper under the cup to keep the spider inside while I transport it to the yard ---

So, I have an especially large cup for these guys and it's scary to feel one 'tap-dancing' on the paper as I take it outside --

Very nice spiders, tho --

Thanks for a great picture!

To the other posters, it is a tarantula. They are all over Oklahoma. I had one inside on the front door, and he was smaller, too. I think he was a juvenile?
idunno.gif
I took him to the backyard and apparently he didn't like the grass?? He kept clinging to me and finally I kind of swooped him off into the grass. He kept trying to climb back up me. I thought about keeping him, but he needed to be outside.

Glad you didn't kill him! They will swarm here...50 going across the road at once is a little freaky.
ep.gif
We love watching them.

Shelly

Back
Top Bottom