another way to pluck a chicken

LOL, yes, dead animals can bruise, just like blood pools on a dead critter.
My birds are not allowed to panic, I try to be as quiet, easy and slide the bird down the killing cone, remove head and allow to bleed out. Now the birds still have enough blood to ooze when you move to the dunking stage. My water is only hot enough where I can put my hand in and I have sensitive hands, so its not scalding.

When the critter is first placed in some of these pluckers, when the meat is crushed, what blood is in the capilaries can cause marking on the skin.

Don't know how, but it was a bit rough for what I feel is that age bird. Technically they are still chicks.
Atleast this is my opinion, I do not know why it did what it did, but there were no skin tears, but there were a lot of broken legs, wings and no bleeding from those.
I do understand what you mean by no blood if no heart beats. That is how it is when dealing with humans, but even a steak is bloody, you will have blood ooze if you tenderize it with the hammer thingy- LOL

I'm going to make this my last post because I don't want to make the OP mad for stealing there thread. I 'm not saying there cant be a small amount of blood in the animal just that there is no pressure behind the blood to cause the bruising.

Is the marks you see on the skin the same color as the picking fingers because I sell one kind of these & if there to soft or not cleaned right then they will leave marks on the skin. I sell them in black & yellow. Yellow is for people that process light skin birds & don't like to clean there equipment. The rubber starts to break down & leave marks. You also said that you could stick your hand in the water. I can handle water temps to about 132-133 which is hot & will steam some will come off from it but it won't loosen the feathers enough to pluck. I don't know which plucker you are using but the whizbang will break legs & wings. It is instructed to put two birds in at one time to keep this from happening. You also need a lot of fresh water during the pluck. Without the proper scald you would have to leave them in there to long.

Back to the bruising. I process all my meat from dear, small animals, & fish. I have shoot deer that run across the ridge & when there heart stops they go over a rock cliff. I drag them across the rocks for a mile through them in the truck & when I get them to where I'm going I pull on them & let them fall out of the truck. I do not have bruised meat on these animals. Unless the arrow hits a bone & causes a bruise at the point of impact before it is dead. Even at that if the deer dies fast you may still not have a bruise.

One last thing I would like to mention is don't cut the head off for the kill. Just slice the side of its neck with a sharp knife. You don't want the heart to stop before the blood is pumped out.

I don't intend to say ha you are wrong, I just want to try to help. Sorry for starting something.

Kingmt you are OK by me.

Cason please do tell us how it goes with those gloves you got. A few years ago I had found out about the $8 chick plucker you could make to use with a drill. I am sure you all have read those posts. When I came across using gloves it just seemed all the easier for those of us not too handy manish. (Ok I know that is not a word) Even though my hubby could make one buying gloves is just easier.

I will not be doing my chickens till the end of the year. Having a non electric way to do plucking seemed the best bet for now. I mean we can heat water with wood, chill water with ice and now pluck with a glove. No eletricity involved when outside doing butchering. I like that very much. I perfer not to use electric when I can get away with it since there are things I must use it for like cooling and heating our home. I can not do that another way at this time. So this seems like another little money saver and I am all for that saving money.

I had chickens bruise from flapping after we cut their heads off. Had them hanging over/kinda in the bucket. I've since bought a restraining cone which works much better.

I also learned the hard way that if the water is too hot, the skin will tear and then it's tough and chewy when you cook it (because it's already started to cook.) I can't wait to hear how the gloves work!! I used regular latex gloves and while they worked ok, it wasn't good/fast enough.

Back
Top Bottom