Another Whizbang build and a question

RWise

Songster
7 Years
Dec 25, 2012
Oakhurst Oklahoma
Got the feather plate in (and more parts here, new motor coming) and 125 fingers etc. What I want to know is, did anyone come up with a tool to install said fingers? I have tried wetting them, not much help, I can only do a few at a time as it kills my back to pull those things in! IF you have made or heard of a tool to do this with, lets see 'em!
Thanx Richard

Some dish soap in a little hot water and a big Channel Lock type pliers works good. Fingers are tougher than you think so very little chance of tearing or breaking them

Last edited:
No I did not buy a book on how to, it is pretty simply. (a lot of work drilling holes,,,)
Soap! I should have thought of that!
Cant be to hard to design a tool for this,,,,

Took longer to gather the tools than build the puller. Now to clean up the mess,,,,

Looking at the ones for sale on ebay, it seems more fingers and a bigger motor does more birds up to 4 with this size tub.
The adds say 10 to 20 seconds on most no mater how many or few fingers.
Question, would it be worth while to get say 50 more fingers to make 175 fingers? Or even more? Or am I good to go, no need for more?

Also I found a 1.5 hp motor, over kill ya, but it was cheaper than the 1/2 hp!
With your whizbang, How many birds can you do at a time and what size motor?

3 Roosters are getting nervous,,,,, and 20 more watching.

I used 125 fingers with a 3/4 HP motor and it works just fine. I can do 3-4 birds (depending on their size) in 45 seconds. IMHO, you could not harness the power of a larger motor with a belt/pulley set up. It would slip before it ever ran out of torque.

Has anyone purchased from the seller on Ebay that apparently uses cheaper parts and sells them with the book? what I mean by cheaper parts he sells them for less than what Kimble sells his parts for the plucker (plus they include the barrel and shipping cost) for.

I got my feather plate from lira44 on ebay, I think I will have long term problems (cutting fingers) with the design as the holes have sharp edges on them. It did come with a shaft (not keyed) 2 bearings (look nice) and 125 fingers. The feather plate is aluminium, but poor workmanship, I would not but another from them.
I did not find any full kits, but I will say if I had it to do over, I would buy one already built. If you do not have the tools and materials on hand (to do/make everything) it is not cost effective to DIY! I do have a ton of stuff around, but everything was just to light, like a shaft from an old swamp cooler, but it is smaller and hollow, the bearings are cheesey, and the motor light and small. So I could have spent less money and had less machine when done. But 'roun' here I am known for over building and having no breakdowns!

Back
Top Bottom