Answer to "what's killing my birds????- HELP!!!".

Egghead_Jr

Free Ranging
13 Years
Oct 16, 2010
NEK, VT
Some of the posts in this section will make me laugh, I've a dark humor, and others make me roll eyes and shake head in wonder. Which response depends on my humor for that day.

If you've just lost a bird and your first thought is to identify the predator with game camera instead of inspecting the run or fence then your what kills the second.

If birds are being killed at night and you set up Have a Heart traps in lieu of closing the coop door at night then your what kills the next.

If you believe a guard dog purchased as puppy will by instinct alone patrol and protect your flock without eating some then I don't believe anyone can help you.

Management styles do indeed differ but if one free ranges with open coops and expects to relocate all predators in area with have a heart I can't accept that as an actual style of management. In truth it's mismanagement not a different style. Lack of responsibility in gardening bears no loss. One can throw seeds on the ground without even opening the packet and call themselves a gardener and proclaim oneness with nature though it will bear no fruit. Husbandry by definition requires responsibility over the animals. Any loss or gain is due to the husband of animals. Ultimately loss in a flock is direct responsibility of the shepherd.

A game camera is not needed to identify culprit that killed your birds you simply need to grab cell phone to take a selfie. And that's my rant!!!???!!! HELP ME help you.

pop.gif

Some of the posts in this section will make me laugh, I've a dark humor, and others make me roll eyes and shake head in wonder. Which response depends on my humor for that day.

If you've just lost a bird and your first thought is to identify the predator with game camera instead of inspecting the run or fence then your what kills the second.

If birds are being killed at night and you set up Have a Heart traps in lieu of closing the coop door at night then your what kills the next.

If you believe a guard dog purchased as puppy will by instinct alone patrol and protect your flock without eating some then I don't believe anyone can help you.

Management styles do indeed differ but if one free ranges with open coops and expects to relocate all predators in area with have a heart I can't accept that as an actual style of management. In truth it's mismanagement not a different style. Lack of responsibility in gardening bears no loss. One can throw seeds on the ground without even opening the packet and call themselves a gardener and proclaim oneness with nature though it will bear no fruit. Husbandry by definition requires responsibility over the animals. Any loss or gain is due to the husband of animals. Ultimately loss in a flock is direct responsibility of the shepherd.

A game camera is not needed to identify culprit that killed your birds you simply need to grab cell phone to take a selfie. And that's my rant!!!???!!! HELP ME help you.
Makes sense to me

Indeed a real lgd will exactly do that, with whatever they grow up they will protect. Just do a search in Australia this works even with (rare) penguins!

They will never rip a chicken and eat it, even if they like eating them if you give them one barbecued, those dogs have no hunting instinct. No one knows for sure since when they are with mankind, probably forever? They are working dogs and only those doing a good job while eating little, could propagate themselves. So they are very different from any other dogs.

Indeed a real lgd will exactly do that, with whatever they grow up they will protect. Just do a search in Australia this works even with (rare) penguins!

They will never rip a chicken and eat it, even if they like eating them if you give them one barbecued, those dogs have no hunting instinct. No one knows for sure since when they are with mankind, probably forever? They are working dogs and only those doing a good job while eating little, could propagate themselves. So they are very different from any other dogs.
It's funny, there was a person posting some time ago asking what was killing her birds that didn't believe be either. Somehow there was a fox or coyote that was outsmarting her LGD. The dog was left outside but some how a large canine foot print kept getting into her pen (over a 3 or 4 ft fence) and killing her birds? Sure is an oddity to me too. Wonder how it was done...

Back
Top Bottom