Ant nest in the chickens nest

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by geeber, Jun 12, 2010.

1. geeber

geeber Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    PNW
    Our chickens are two months old. I have them out in their coop w/ hay in the nest boxes.
    Yesterday we were cleaning the coop & I took the old hay out of the nest box. There was an ant colony in there.
    Is this why the chickens do not sleep in their coop?
    How do I get rid of the colony safely?
    Can I use DE?
    And why wont the girls eat the d*mn ants?!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I wouldnt live/sleep in there neither if there were ants crawling around 24/7, especially if they were fire ants. I think most ants can spray or give off an acid as a defense (not to mention their pinchers being painful), I'm not sure but I think it's folic acid to deter predators. Your chickens wont eat them for that reason,also ants can carry tapeworms. You should get rid of the ants...all of them. I recommend using sevin dust to control your ant problem. It'll also protect your chickens/nests from lice and mites.

3. geeber

geeber Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    PNW
    These are those little sugar ants. Is sevin dust safe to use around the chickens? I dont want to use anything that would harm them?

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yes, sevin is very safe around the birds (read the label); it's only issue is that it seems to be losing effectiveness. Better to rotate pesticides.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by