anti-predator apron for hoop coop

The reason yurts, tipis, and round huts are so popular is because the curve is aerodynamic and the wind goes around the hut and doesn't blow it down as it would with a straight wall. We made a hoop house using 2 cattle panels and tarp. This was for the sheep and donkeys. It was anchored to the earth with tent thingies. It survived 100 mph wind, just bent one of the hoops a little. Both ends were open, but the tarp wall was into the wind. I doubt you would need to close the ends in Tennessee as long as the hoop house is situated so the wind hits the wall. When you get to winter you can determine if your chickens are fine just being out of the wind. Sheep have wool, but donkeys don't and they all did fine in mid Michigan.

The reason yurts, tipis, and round huts are so popular is because the curve is aerodynamic and the wind goes around the hut and doesn't blow it down as it would with a straight wall. We made a hoop house using 2 cattle panels and tarp. This was for the sheep and donkeys. It was anchored to the earth with tent thingies. It survived 100 mph wind, just bent one of the hoops a little. Both ends were open, but the tarp wall was into the wind. I doubt you would need to close the ends in Tennessee as long as the hoop house is situated so the wind hits the wall. When you get to winter you can determine if your chickens are fine just being out of the wind. Sheep have wool, but donkeys don't and they all did fine in mid Michigan.
Thank you! It is reassuring to hear that your hoop house did so well through the storm. 100 mph is intense!

We haven't had a strong rain here yet...but my fingers are crossed it stays fairly dry inside. Soggy chicken poo soup doesn't sound fun. :sick

Thank you for the advice everyone. Today I cut the hardware cloth, screwed it to the base, and staked it down. And my 6-year-old got to use a drill for the first time (with a bit of help 😉). If all goes well, I hope to have the run up on Wednesday. 🤞

1656375089241.png

Back
Top Bottom