ANTIBACTERIAL EGG WASH

gcarmack2001

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2018
I don't test my flocks for diseases that can be passed from hen to egg, so if my chickens have an underlying disease that I am unaware of I could easily be passing it to anybody who wants to get hatching eggs from. They do know that I don't test but I would feel horrible if they got chicks that had inherited some kind of disease from mine.
I've been doing some research, and saw where some people dip the eggs in some kind of wash before incubating them (the one I read was about collecting eggs from chickens with mycoplasma and dipping them in this wash.) Has anybody done this? If so, what did you use to make/mix up this wash? Do you just dip the eggs a little or submerge them fully?
TIA

If you are giving eggs away or selling eggs for hatching you should be up front about it and not try using some wash in hopes that everything is great! If your selling eggs for eating you should make sure that your chickens are not sick and are in good health.

I don't sell for eating, but I do for hatching and though I am up front and they have no problem with that I would still like to do it. I would also be doing a little 'experiment' with it also, seeing if the eggs that were washed had healthier chicks than the eggs that weren't. I'm in 4H and do a lot of that kind of stuff so I was just planning on making it an experiment also.

Your chicks are only going to be healthy if the parents are healthy and if using an incubator your chicks are going to be healthy if the incubator is monitored. You need that natural bloom around the egg to protect it!
People and chickens have been hatching eggs for decades without washes and they have turned out fine.
That's just my thoughts and I wish you luck!

Your chicks are only going to be healthy if the parents are healthy and if using an incubator your chicks are going to be healthy if the incubator is monitored. You need that natural bloom around the egg to protect it!
People and chickens have been hatching eggs for decades without washes and they have turned out fine.
That's just my thoughts and I wish you luck!

Thanks!

I refresh my nesting boxes 4+ times a week. Buy hay by the round bale. "IF" they need to be cleaned (eggs), they are soaked in filtered & soft conditioned water and wiped accordingly.
old.gif
IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, I insist on leaving the natural BLOOM excreted onto the egg shell by the hen. A natural germ/contamination agent that mother nature provided the said egg producer with.
morning coffee.gif

2dzOInI.gif

First you'd need to have your birds swabbed and/or blood collected for disease testing, then determine if any found diseases are transmittable by eggs.
Some diseases can be transmitted inside the the egg,
so dipping outside of egg wouldn't prevent them spreading/passing down.

I spray my hatching eggs down with Brinsea Incubation Disinfectant and this time I will use Oxine. Both diluted per directions of course. I know everyone has their own ideas, so when I sell eggs I will just send them as is and they can decide if they want to clean or leave them as is.

I spray my hatching eggs down with Brinsea Incubation Disinfectant and this time I will use Oxine. Both diluted per directions of course. I know everyone has their own ideas, so when I sell eggs I will just send them as is and they can decide if they want to clean or leave them as is.

Has either of these things been tested to see if they keep the chicks from catching diseases (mycoplasma, etc.) that the hen had?

Back
Top Bottom