Antibiotics and eggs

Jan 4, 2021
Ada, Oklahoma
Can you eat eggs if you give antibiotic to chickens in their water?
I started giving my girls amoxicillin in their water mixed with apple cider and some vitamin supplements two days ago after I gathered the morning eggs. The evening eggs I separated as I'm not sure if it's safe to consume even for pets.
Now we also injected the one with the head shaking and pffing like she can't breathe with less than half a cc of exceed. This is medicine we normally give to calves with respiratory disease and it relieves them immediately and gets them eating like normal. My chicken is more active and has been coming put of her hiding place and joining although still timidly whenever I give them treats (which is a daily thing). I think she is feeling much better. All girls are eating well and drinking. I have to add I removed most of the hay in the coop as soon as it started getting warm, although here in Oklahoma, weather is a little strange as it can get really warm during the day and then cold at night.
So I would really like to know if we can eat the eggs of if I should just bury them with my plants. It would be a waste since I get 6 eggs daily and I have 8 girls, all of them are at that laying age, but one has been molting for almost a month now. Thanks very much!

I would wait 7-9 days after stopping the antibiotics to eat the eggs. There would be a small amount of the drug found in the eggs if you fed them to your dogs. I am sure that some people might not worry about that, but it can lead to antibiotic resistant bacteria. Since amoxicillin is one my vet uses most often on dogs, I probably would not.

Back
Top Bottom