1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Antibiotics and hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DuckCommander, Jan 19, 2014.

1. DuckCommander

DuckCommander Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    Alberta
    I am currently giving my chickens antibiotics and have to toss the eggs. I am wondering would these eggs be good for hatching?

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    well, i hope it dont hurt them, ive had some in for 5 days now. i wont candle for a couple more days. if the hen is not healthy the eggs may not be. there are some illness that can pass from hen to embryo. i used tylen 50 inj.

3. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    day 7, eggs are looking good !!

4. DuckCommander

Oct 24, 2012
    Alberta
    Thanks!

5. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    I've never had antibiotics hurt a hatching egg. When I put one of my chickens on antibiotics, I usually put them all on it (because whatever they have has likely already spread). But I have never noticed a change in my hatch rates.

Right now I'm coming up on the real test though. For the first time since I started with chickens, my ENTIRE flock is undergoing Corid treatment for Cocci. Normally I quarantine and treat the individual birds. But this time I saw red poop in the main pen and have no idea who it was. So they're all going to get it. But the hatching season is just beginning and I've already got people lined up for chicks before they are even hatching. So I'm just going to treat them all and incubate their eggs anyway. If my hatch rate goes down, I figure it'll be the same (or better) results than simply throwing the eggs away anyway. If it stays the same, then I know the Corid had no effect on the eggs. Who knows, maybe the Corid itself will be in the chicks' systems, and prevent them from getting Cocci infections after they hatch, too!

1 person likes this.
  6. DuckCommander

Oct 24, 2012
    Alberta
    Thank you, I am currently treating for entritis and thought it was a waste to throw all the eggs away and my dog is getting fat so doesn't need to eat them all! Good luck on your cocci treatment!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by