Antibiotics and liquid food for sour crop?!

more_old_dogs

Chirping
Mar 18, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
We took our chicken with sour crop to a new bird vet and she hydrated our chicken then sent her home with antibiotics and liquid food. Isn’t sour crop a yeast bloom and doesn’t she likely have a blockage so wouldn’t require food? I wasn’t able to ask these questions because my husband took her to the vet. Her crop is still huge!

How long ago was she treated?
Was she diagnosed with sour crop?
What is the antibiotic?
What's the liquid food?
How old is she?

Can you call the vet and speak with them about some of your concerns, ask some questions and have them clarify the diagnosis?

A sour crop is usually a yeast or fungal infection. Crop issues can be caused by a number of things - a few are a blockage, worms, coccidiosis, reproductive issues and infection.

Treated yes
How long ago was she treated?
Was she diagnosed with sour crop?
What is the antibiotic?
What's the liquid food?
How old is she?

Can you call the vet and speak with them about some of your concerns, ask some questions and have them clarify the diagnosis?

A sour crop is usually a yeast or fungal infection. Crop issues can be caused by a number of things - a few are a blockage, worms, coccidiosis, reproductive issues and infection.
-She was treated yesterday and today
-The vet thinks she has a blockage but can’t say without doing exploratory surgery
-Trimethoprim sulfa 48 mg/ml - 1.4 ml twice daily
-liquid food is Emeraid IC Omnivore
-18 weeks

I’ll call the vet tomorrow.

Treated yes

-She was treated yesterday and today
-The vet thinks she has a blockage but can’t say without doing exploratory surgery
-Trimethoprim sulfa 48 mg/ml - 1.4 ml twice daily
-liquid food is Emeraid IC Omnivore
-18 weeks

I’ll call the vet tomorrow.
When you get a bit more info from the vet, let us know.

The Trimethoprim will help with infection and could also treat certain strains of Coccidia as well. I would go with it, since it was prescribed.

If the crop is sour, then you may need to administer an anti-fungal/yeast medication as well. Talk to them about that.

Did the vet perform a fecal float?

Back
Top Bottom