Antibiotics and liquid wormer at the same time

mandycapel

Chirping
Apr 10, 2021
Hi can you mix tylosine and zerofen-fenbendozole 10% and give it to the chickens at the same time or wait to do one after the other? We have some head shaking but nothing the eye can see, coop and run is clean and some hopfully crop adjustments. Last worm count 3 months ago was negative vet said to worm as haven't been worked in a while and should think of antibiotics. We have tylosin have used denaguard before. They have also had 3 weeks of ivermectin and 2 weeks of exzolt. So stumped. Mandy

Fenbedazole is usually given orally to each bird, since it doesn’t mix well in water, and will settle out. Tylosin and fenbendazole can be given together. But if head shaking is the only symptom, I would not necessarily treat them with antibiotics. You have used a lot of medications so far, but have you seen mites on your chickens? The Exzolt is for mites, and ivermectin is not used normally for so long. I would read the labels, and make sure that I was using one mite product only if they have a problem. If I did not have a history of MG in the flock, I would not treat for MG unless I saw bubbles in an eye, eye swelling, or congestion. Denagard is helpful in flocks with chronic MG.

Fenbedazole is usually given orally to each bird, since it doesn’t mix well in water, and will settle out. Tylosin and fenbendazole can be given together. But if head shaking is the only symptom, I would not necessarily treat them with antibiotics. You have used a lot of medications so far, but have you seen mites on your chickens? The Exzolt is for mites, and ivermectin is not used normally for so long. I would read the labels, and make sure that I was using one mite product only if they have a problem. If I did not have a history of MG in the flock, I would not treat for MG unless I saw bubbles in an eye, eye swelling, or congestion. Denagard is helpful in flocks with chronic MG.
Thank you for replying, this has been over the last 6 months, all medication has been under the advisement by a qualified vet, our sablepoot went bald and was scratching took to the vet after a few telephone consultations thinking it was respiratory as shaking her head as well but we thought maybe allergies the vet prescribed antibiotics then noticed scaly leg so treated her for that, the vet checked her over so no ear mites etc, she carried on scratching and so did the others so vet prescribed ivermectin once a week for 3 weeks. Coop and run were cleaned and nothing resembling mites/lice were found. No improvement so vet prescribed exzolt. Last dose 28th July. They have stopped scratching but ow some shake their heads. Their last worm count 3 months ago was negative but as not wormed for awhile vet said to worm as would be 6 months from last worming. Spoke to vet today and I vaguely remember her saying we could mix but wasnt sure. We dont just randomly give medication. We just want what's best for our chickens but can't seem to get on top of this.

Good question about mixing de-wormer and antibiotics. My girls have a very obvious CRD right now and also just found roundworms in their poop. I am getting ready to give Tylosin 100 today but also need to treat with Flubendazole. Can they be mixed together into the drinking water? My ladies are wheezing, coughing and barking like dogs, my rooster can hardly crow today. Def a respiritory issue, been real wet/hot and then rainy all summer.
Any help is very much appreciated!

https://txmg-wpengine.netdna-ssl.co.../files/2019/06/Small-flock-managment-2019.pdf

Your advice is everywhere & great! My lil Golden Sex Link laid a late egg today and 5 min later did the egg song(short version) for only the 2nd time since getting sick. My dewormer is the fenbedazole but comes in pellet form like food. That's gonna be the next thing I try for my mysteriously sick chicken. And yes, I only did ivermectin pour doing 5drops on her neck to repeat in 7 days. I'm no expert, but it think I DID see some mites at the skin line. Or something sand colored & Oblong. In the end I will have treated her for everything that I've read about. I started Duraguard this morning. Last dose of Corid tonight. Everytime I search something on the internet, there you are. Awesome!

As for bubbles in the eye....this I don't understand at all. Her eye is shut. I have to pry it open to flush & pit terramycin in so I'm not really seeing much of her eye. At this point I figure after getting a course of everything I have on hand if she doesn't get better there really can't be much I can do. Her symptoms are atypical to everything I read meaning some of one some of another

Your advice is everywhere & great! My lil Golden Sex Link laid a late egg today and 5 min later did the egg song(short version) for only the 2nd time since getting sick. My dewormer is the fenbedazole but comes in pellet form like food. That's gonna be the next thing I try for my mysteriously sick chicken. And yes, I only did ivermectin pour doing 5drops on her neck to repeat in 7 days. I'm no expert, but it think I DID see some mites at the skin line. Or something sand colored & Oblong. In the end I will have treated her for everything that I've read about. I started Duraguard this morning. Last dose of Corid tonight. Everytime I search something on the internet, there you are. Awesome!
As for bubbles in the eye....this I don't understand at all. Her eye is shut. I have to pry it open to flush & pit terramycin in so I'm not really seeing much of her eye. At this point I figure after getting a course of everything I have on hand if she doesn't get better there really can't be much I can do. Her symptoms are atypical to everything I read meaning some of one some of another
You might want to post this update on your own thread here instead of here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sick-golden-sex-link-help.1602124/

Back
Top Bottom