Sick Golden Sex Link help

FreedomGalTx

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2023
9mos old, deep south region. Sat evening her left eye was closed & she stayed at my feet during free range. We isolated her right then in the garage. TSC gave us terramycin ointment. She is eating & drinking but has more loose stolls than normal. She is tired. Its been 6 days now. Lays a normal egg each morning. Started Vetrx day 2, she sounded hoarse. She perked up almost immediately but it didn't last. Electrolytes in water for 2 days. Started seeing blood in every other loose stool & it's slimy. Started Corid direct beak doses 2 days ago. She's not rally vocal except a whimpering sound. She does walk around some. The eye is not swollen like Coryza. I'm flushing it with normal saline & using the terramycin. Out of an abundance of caution I did 5 drops of Ivermectin on neck skin on Monday. No chicken vet to be found(not sure I could pay for it anyway). It's been 6 days & she has gotten no worse but not better either. 7 other chickens are still fine in the coop. I only added ACV to their water. I'm at a lose here. The pic is her on Sat evening when first discovered. It was NOT like that mid morning as they free range 2x a day. FYI I do have doxyvet on hand. I bought the things I could afford. I have not used it. I'm tossing her eggs due to ivermectin & idk what is wrong with her.

Attachments

• 20231014_180112.jpg
    20231014_180112.jpg
    826 KB · Views: 140
  • 20231016_075200.jpg
    20231016_075200.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 9
Do you see any bubbles or foam in her eye? Do you have a picture of her blood in her droppings? I would continue the Corid 2 tsp per gallon of water or 1/2 tsp per quart for 5-7 days as the only water source and in her chicken feed. Could she have swallowed something that caused the blood in her poops? Has she been out on grass for most of her life? Has she ever been wormed? Is she eating and drinking?

No bubbles or foam in the eye. The top lid looks just a tiny but swollen but I think it's just because it's shut. Can't do Corid in her water because she's drinking maybe 10oz a day & couldn't calculate that. Wasted a day by putting it in her water when she only drank a small amount. So I switched to oral beak doses. I will get a pic of the poop. It's weird, some of them look like black rice...the others do have blood that I didn't realize because to me it looks orange. The blood didn't show up right away. She is having few normal ones. Laid another perfect egg an hour ago. I will add her next poop. Cleaned up the 2 overnight ones already. One with small to moderate blood one with black/dark brown rice looking. She does have one normal small poop per day.

Attachments

• 16978132896826188238628386723014.jpg
    16978132896826188238628386723014.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 7
No bubbles or foam in the eye. The top lid looks just a tiny but swollen but I think it's just because it's shut. Can't do Corid in her water because she's drinking maybe 10oz a day & couldn't calculate that. Wasted a day by putting it in her water when she only drank a small amount. So I switched to oral beak doses. I will get a pic of the poop. It's weird, some of them look like black rice...the others do have blood that I didn't realize because to me it looks orange. The blood didn't show up right away. She is having few normal ones. Laid another perfect egg an hour ago. I will add her next poop. Cleaned up the 2 overnight ones already. One with small to moderate blood one with black/dark brown rice looking. She does have one normal small poop per day.

9mos old, deep south region. Sat evening her left eye was closed & she stayed at my feet during free range. We isolated her right then in the garage. TSC gave us terramycin ointment. She is eating & drinking but has more loose stolls than normal. She is tired. Its been 6 days now. Lays a normal egg each morning. Started Vetrx day 2, she sounded hoarse. She perked up almost immediately but it didn't last. Electrolytes in water for 2 days. Started seeing blood in every other loose stool & it's slimy. Started Corid direct beak doses 2 days ago. She's not rally vocal except a whimpering sound. She does walk around some. The eye is not swollen like Coryza. I'm flushing it with normal saline & using the terramycin. Out of an abundance of caution I did 5 drops of Ivermectin on neck skin on Monday. No chicken vet to be found(not sure I could pay for it anyway). It's been 6 days & she has gotten no worse but not better either. 7 other chickens are still fine in the coop. I only added ACV to their water. I'm at a lose here. The pic is her on Sat evening when first discovered. It was NOT like that mid morning as they free range 2x a day. FYI I do have doxyvet on hand. I bought the things I could afford. I have not used it. I'm tossing her eggs due to ivermectin & idk what is wrong with her.

Attachments

• 16978134388217618519754145699727.jpg
    16978134388217618519754145699727.jpg
    849.9 KB · Views: 8
Do you see any bubbles or foam in her eye? Do you have a picture of her blood in her droppings? I would continue the Corid 2 tsp per gallon of water or 1/2 tsp per quart for 5-7 days as the only water source and in her chicken feed. Could she have swallowed something that caused the blood in her poops? Has she been out on grass for most of her life? Has she ever been wormed? Is she eating and drinking?
Here they are. Yes she is eating and drinking but not to a full crop end of day. She eats & drinks like 5x a day. This morning after eye treatment Vetrx, Corid, & a scrambled egg. She actually ba ba ba gawked once & had her eye open walking around. She lays down more than walks, but does walk.

Attachments

• 20231020_133146.jpg
    20231020_133146.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231020_122707.jpg
    20231020_122707.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 7
Sorry if I reply wrong. I just signed up after FB being no help.

They have never been wormed but I have the medicine. They have been eating grass all summer & have grit. There was a concern about them eating little round pool solar cover bubbles(it dry rotted in the Texas sun this summer). Some of them pooped a bluish color( solar bubbles) but I pain stakingly got them all off the ground and there is no mor poop like that. She didn't seem to be the culprit. It was mainly my Wyandotte & Barred Rock. Should I go ahead and deworm her? I was going to do all of them when the eggs slow anyway. I am very new to this. 2 poos this morning. Again one that kinda looks like dark rice, one with small blood. Very loose. I am at a loss!

What do you have for worming? SafeGuard and Valbazen are good ones. I would go ahead and worm her. Unfortunately, it is hard to know exactly what her problem is. Chickens do sometimes eat most anything they find on the ground including plastic, metal, or glass particles. Let us know how she gets along or if you need a dosage for the wormer.

Fenbendazole? They are pellets. Has good reviews for chickens but I'll have to figure out the dose. Seems like just a few of them a day. All I can do I guess is treat her one by one with what I have. I have Denaguard for respiratory but it says there is ALWAYS lowered egg production with CRD? She is still laying. I'll let ya know if she turns either way. Thanks for responding

Fenbendazole comes in several ways. The easiest to figure a dosage is the 10% horse paste or the liquid goat wormer, SafeGuard brand. The pellets are hard to figure a dosage for chickens. The dosage for the above horse or goat medicine is 1/4 ml per pound of weight given for 5 straight days. That treats most worms that affect chickens except tapeworms which are more rare. Usually with MG or CRD, you would see bubbles in the eyes or a very swollen eyelid.

Back
Top Bottom