Antibiotics at Tractor Supply?

A picture or video would be great if you have a chance! If you don't mind me asking, what breeds do you have?

Thankfully, mine don't hiss at me, and I've only been bitten once (yesterday). Even my drakes are pretty calm, though they've started chasing my little rooster around the yard when both are free-ranging.

So far so good today, I think. I had a time getting her mouth open — yesterday, she was biting at everything, and today, she's keeping it clamped shut. I haven't really been able to get to the back of her throat, but it's such a tiny amount of liquid (I did 0.175). I got the syringe in and she bit down on it, so I squirted it out and she acted like she was drinking it (didn't cough or anything) and I never saw her spit anything out. I have a feeling we will end up at the vet next week, but I am hoping and praying it's not necessary. I just think it may need to be drained. The pocket of fluid seems a tiny bit smaller today, but it's still warm and pretty prominent. She doesn't seem as active as she was, and she hasn't laid an egg in about a week, but I think the daily chasing/soaking is probably stressing her out a bit. Plus, it's 90-something degrees here. Her appetite is good, she's not losing weight, and she can fight me with the best of them when I catch her.

I just hope I'm not drying her feet out with all of these daily Epsom salt soaks!
That is good she didn't cough. It sounds like you did a good job with it. When some ducks have an injury or illness, the stress can stop them from laying. As long as she is eating and drinking well, that is a good sign.

The Epsom salt soak may actually be helping dry out the fluid in the foot. If you are worried her feet are drying out, Vaseline can help keep moisture in her skin. Bag balm is another option too.

So this is my easiest girl to treat. She has been handled a lot and is pretty use to it now. I was Giving a pill and not a liquid medication. Hopefully that link works and shows how I restrain my ducks. With a syringe, I often put it on the ground, then grab it when I have the free hand.

I have a Pekin, a khaki Campbell, Saxony, swedish, Welsh harlequin, runners, Cayuga and Muscovy.

That is good she didn't cough. It sounds like you did a good job with it. When some ducks have an injury or illness, the stress can stop them from laying. As long as she is eating and drinking well, that is a good sign.

The Epsom salt soak may actually be helping dry out the fluid in the foot. If you are worried her feet are drying out, Vaseline can help keep moisture in her skin. Bag balm is another option too.

So this is my easiest girl to treat. She has been handled a lot and is pretty use to it now. I was Giving a pill and not a liquid medication. Hopefully that link works and shows how I restrain my ducks. With a syringe, I often put it on the ground, then grab it when I have the free hand.

I have a Pekin, a khaki Campbell, Saxony, swedish, Welsh harlequin, runners, Cayuga and Muscovy.
Thanks so much for sharing that. You make it look so easy! My dad is still helping me and insists on doing so, but I definitely think this will help me in the future or if he gets tired.

Mine are all khaki Campbells, but I've been thinking about adding some Welsh harlequins to the mix this summer or next spring, but I can never find anyone who has any — are they good ducks? I need more hens — thankfully, my drakes are pretty docile, but my ratio isn't ideal.

So, the good-ish news is that my girl is walking better today. I haven't done her soak yet or examined her foot closely, but it looks like there's a little less swelling. She's also a lot more active today than she has been the last couple of days. She's on my back porch, and every time I walk by the glass door, she's peaking inside and quacking whereas yesterday, she laid around a lot and kind of hid in the corners. The bad-ish news is we missed her morning medication dose. I had something get after my big rooster and kill him last night sadly, and I had a tight work deadline that I couldn't get out of, and that made for a wild morning. I'm gonna stick with the schedule though, she'll get her evening dose as usual and we'll start over tomorrow. I really really really hope she's on the mend, especially after losing my big guy today.

Thanks so much for sharing that. You make it look so easy! My dad is still helping me and insists on doing so, but I definitely think this will help me in the future or if he gets tired.

Mine are all khaki Campbells, but I've been thinking about adding some Welsh harlequins to the mix this summer or next spring, but I can never find anyone who has any — are they good ducks? I need more hens — thankfully, my drakes are pretty docile, but my ratio isn't ideal.

So, the good-ish news is that my girl is walking better today. I haven't done her soak yet or examined her foot closely, but it looks like there's a little less swelling. She's also a lot more active today than she has been the last couple of days. She's on my back porch, and every time I walk by the glass door, she's peaking inside and quacking whereas yesterday, she laid around a lot and kind of hid in the corners. The bad-ish news is we missed her morning medication dose. I had something get after my big rooster and kill him last night sadly, and I had a tight work deadline that I couldn't get out of, and that made for a wild morning. I'm gonna stick with the schedule though, she'll get her evening dose as usual and we'll start over tomorrow. I really really really hope she's on the mend, especially after losing my big guy today.
That is great to hear things are slowing looking better!

I am sorry about your rooster. I wouldn't worry too much about missing one dose. Instead you can add the dosage to the end of the treatment. For example if you were going to be treating till Sunday morning, I would give another one Sunday night.

June really is my easiest duck to handle. She waddles away, but once you get a hand on her, she will immediately give up. Not all of our ducks are so easy.

I will say there is no breed of duck that I have not liked in one way or another so far. My Welsh harlequins are pretty sweet ducks. The dynamics in my flock change, but often welshes are at the bottom of the flock. I have read about others seeing that same dynamic. They are not going to be as big of foragers as khaki campbell and probably a bit lower energy level. Personality wise, they are great ducks to have.

That is great to hear things are slowing looking better!

I am sorry about your rooster. I wouldn't worry too much about missing one dose. Instead you can add the dosage to the end of the treatment. For example if you were going to be treating till Sunday morning, I would give another one Sunday night.

June really is my easiest duck to handle. She waddles away, but once you get a hand on her, she will immediately give up. Not all of our ducks are so easy.

I will say there is no breed of duck that I have not liked in one way or another so far. My Welsh harlequins are pretty sweet ducks. The dynamics in my flock change, but often welshes are at the bottom of the flock. I have read about others seeing that same dynamic. They are not going to be as big of foragers as khaki campbell and probably a bit lower energy level. Personality wise, they are great ducks to have.
Oh, that's funny — my girl is named June too. She is walking better this weekend, but that pocket of fluid just won't go away. I'm curious as to whether I should count the days I put the antibiotic in her water as days she had it? I want to say no. The bottle says to give it 10 days, and you said 5-7, so I'm thinking if I do 7 days' worth of oral doses, it would be okay either way since I put it in her water 3 times. I'm also still tempted to drain it — I have some syringes with needles from some home health care stuff my mom had. I feel like if I'm going to attempt it, now would be the time while she's on the antibiotic, but I'm still terrified of making it worse. I will say that your video has helped so much with me getting her bill open to give her the meds!

That's one reason I have become interested in Welsh harlequins — I heard they were sweet and kind of calm? My khakis really aren't great foragers either. When I let them out, they'll run around for a few minutes but then they sit at my feet like little puppies waiting for treats. They're a little spoiled though, so that might be my fault! (Unless it has just rained — then they'll root around forever.)

Oh, that's funny — my girl is named June too. She is walking better this weekend, but that pocket of fluid just won't go away. I'm curious as to whether I should count the days I put the antibiotic in her water as days she had it? I want to say no. The bottle says to give it 10 days, and you said 5-7, so I'm thinking if I do 7 days' worth of oral doses, it would be okay either way since I put it in her water 3 times. I'm also still tempted to drain it — I have some syringes with needles from some home health care stuff my mom had. I feel like if I'm going to attempt it, now would be the time while she's on the antibiotic, but I'm still terrified of making it worse. I will say that your video has helped so much with me getting her bill open to give her the meds!

That's one reason I have become interested in Welsh harlequins — I heard they were sweet and kind of calm? My khakis really aren't great foragers either. When I let them out, they'll run around for a few minutes but then they sit at my feet like little puppies waiting for treats. They're a little spoiled though, so that might be my fault! (Unless it has just rained — then they'll root around forever.)
It will be ok if she goes on antibiotics a little bit longer, so if you don't want to count the day in the water that would be fine. 1 more day should be fine.

You can try draining it. The antibiotics should help with prevent an infection from spreading. Some bacatracin would also be good to use as well and keep everything sanitary. Even if you make a small hole, I would recommend wrapping the foot at least one day to make sure the opening stays clean till it seals. There is always a chance it could become worse. You will need to decide if you want to take that risk. Keeping everything sterile and as clean as possible will reduce the risks.

I am glad the video helped you out.

My welsh harlequin are fairly calm and sweet. They are a bit more demure. I usually find them less likely to push their way in for treats. I have one khaki Campbell, but I had two. The Drake didn't work out. But both of them were super high energy running around. None of my ducklings have been as high energy as these two. They put my runners to shame.

It will be ok if she goes on antibiotics a little bit longer, so if you don't want to count the day in the water that would be fine. 1 more day should be fine.

You can try draining it. The antibiotics should help with prevent an infection from spreading. Some bacatracin would also be good to use as well and keep everything sanitary. Even if you make a small hole, I would recommend wrapping the foot at least one day to make sure the opening stays clean till it seals. There is always a chance it could become worse. You will need to decide if you want to take that risk. Keeping everything sterile and as clean as possible will reduce the risks.

I am glad the video helped you out.

My welsh harlequin are fairly calm and sweet. They are a bit more demure. I usually find them less likely to push their way in for treats. I have one khaki Campbell, but I had two. The Drake didn't work out. But both of them were super high energy running around. None of my ducklings have been as high energy as these two. They put my runners to shame.
That's wild. I have three KC drakes (two in with the whole flock and the one they bullied to the point that he was scared to go into their pen/had a leg injury on the porch), and they are so low-energy. The girls are a little wilder, but the boys are super calm. I guess it really is not all about the breed. I'm working on a separate pen so I can get my bullied guy back outside, and I'm considering putting him with the girls and putting the two boys who get along with each other okay in the smaller pen together as bachelors for now.

So, I will keep her on the antibiotics through Thursday, and that should be 8 or 9 days. I actually do think they're helping. She doesn't limp regularly now, and she doesn't hold the foot up much when she's standing still. Every once in a while you can tell it bothers her, but she's almost walking normally for the first time since this happened. The pocket of fluid isn't warm anymore, and it's not as discolored as it was. It just doesn't seem to want to go away, but I'm crossing my fingers and hoping and praying it will this week. I'm gonna hold off on draining it, I think.

She also takes her medicine like a champ now! I put the syringe up and she opens her mouth like she knows what to do, so I am grateful for that.

That's wild. I have three KC drakes (two in with the whole flock and the one they bullied to the point that he was scared to go into their pen/had a leg injury on the porch), and they are so low-energy. The girls are a little wilder, but the boys are super calm. I guess it really is not all about the breed. I'm working on a separate pen so I can get my bullied guy back outside, and I'm considering putting him with the girls and putting the two boys who get along with each other okay in the smaller pen together as bachelors for now.

So, I will keep her on the antibiotics through Thursday, and that should be 8 or 9 days. I actually do think they're helping. She doesn't limp regularly now, and she doesn't hold the foot up much when she's standing still. Every once in a while you can tell it bothers her, but she's almost walking normally for the first time since this happened. The pocket of fluid isn't warm anymore, and it's not as discolored as it was. It just doesn't seem to want to go away, but I'm crossing my fingers and hoping and praying it will this week. I'm gonna hold off on draining it, I think.

She also takes her medicine like a champ now! I put the syringe up and she opens her mouth like she knows what to do, so I am grateful for that.
That is great the antibiotics are helping! Hopefully the pocket of fluid goes away. It sounds like it is steadily is getting better, which is good news.

That is so great she is taking her meds well and you mastered giving oral medication.

Yeah every duck has its own individual personality. There are certain traits I find in most of a breed. But they really can all be different. A lot of people describe khakis as being skiddish, but that has not been my experience, nor does it sound like yours either. Mine have been pretty fearless and curious. I can't imagine low energy khaki Campbell. I wouldn't mind ducks that act like puppies.

That is too bad about your drake getting bullied by the other two. It is definitely worth trying to seperate out the other boys. I hope it works out for him.

That is great the antibiotics are helping! Hopefully the pocket of fluid goes away. It sounds like it is steadily is getting better, which is good news.

That is so great she is taking her meds well and you mastered giving oral medication.

Yeah every duck has its own individual personality. There are certain traits I find in most of a breed. But they really can all be different. A lot of people describe khakis as being skiddish, but that has not been my experience, nor does it sound like yours either. Mine have been pretty fearless and curious. I can't imagine low energy khaki Campbell. I wouldn't mind ducks that act like puppies.

That is too bad about your drake getting bullied by the other two. It is definitely worth trying to seperate out the other boys. I hope it works out for him.
She is doing so much better today. She will limp every once in a while, but she doesn't hold her foot up while standing, and she's got so much more energy compared to a few days ago. My dad saw her and the other duck I have on the porch and couldn't tell which was which when they were walking together because she's walking so much more normally now. I also noticed today that the skin around the fluid bubble isn't so tight and is kind of scrunching up like a deflated balloon, so I'm hoping it's finally going away too. We have a few more days of antibiotics left, and I'm hoping maybe I can get her back outside by next week. Thank you so much for all of your help! My mom died not too long ago, and I've had to deal with so much on my own since. I hate seeing one of my animals in pain and will be so glad to get her back with the flock. (I guess they will accept her back?) So, I definitely appreciate the guidance! I've learned so much.

I think my ducks act like puppies because they're so spoiled and know they'll get some peas if they beg long enough. I'd never had ducks before, but I've really come to enjoy them. I'm hoping to move in the next few years, and on my checklist is a pond/creek/lake/river for the ducks.

She is doing so much better today. She will limp every once in a while, but she doesn't hold her foot up while standing, and she's got so much more energy compared to a few days ago. My dad saw her and the other duck I have on the porch and couldn't tell which was which when they were walking together because she's walking so much more normally now. I also noticed today that the skin around the fluid bubble isn't so tight and is kind of scrunching up like a deflated balloon, so I'm hoping it's finally going away too. We have a few more days of antibiotics left, and I'm hoping maybe I can get her back outside by next week. Thank you so much for all of your help! My mom died not too long ago, and I've had to deal with so much on my own since. I hate seeing one of my animals in pain and will be so glad to get her back with the flock. (I guess they will accept her back?) So, I definitely appreciate the guidance! I've learned so much.

I think my ducks act like puppies because they're so spoiled and know they'll get some peas if they beg long enough. I'd never had ducks before, but I've really come to enjoy them. I'm hoping to move in the next few years, and on my checklist is a pond/creek/lake/river for the ducks.
That is so great to hear she is doing so much better! The other ducks should accept her back. She may have a difficult day or two if the pecking order has changed any. I usually find they go back into the flock well.

Ducks can be very persuasive. It can be difficult to not give into them 😆. My husband was not at first sure about ducks and now he is absolutely in love with them. It is amazing how they quickly waddle their way into your heart.

I am so sorry about the passing of your mother. I am sorry you have had to handle so much alone. Hopefully the ducks can help you heal as well.

That is so great to hear she is doing so much better! The other ducks should accept her back. She may have a difficult day or two if the pecking order has changed any. I usually find they go back into the flock well.

Ducks can be very persuasive. It can be difficult to not give into them 😆. My husband was not at first sure about ducks and now he is absolutely in love with them. It is amazing how they quickly waddle their way into your heart.

I am so sorry about the passing of your mother. I am sorry you have had to handle so much alone. Hopefully the ducks can help you heal as well.
Thank you. I actually got the ducks for my mom (for me to take care of/her to enjoy) — she was pretty depressed last year and in poor health, so I thought having them around would cheer her up because she'd always wanted some. They did, though she didn't get to see them that much because of her limited mobility and because of where I had to keep them until I had a permanent place for them. We finally got their pen built right after she died, and I hated that she didn't get to them in it. That's great about your husband! They are definitely lovable.

If the pocket of fluid is still partially there, but she's not limping, do you think it would be okay to put her back outside and just keep an eye on things? She will be with two drakes, but she has plenty of hiding places to get away from them, and there are other hens, so she won't be the single focus. And she is not afraid to tell them to back off. She was pretty high on the pecking order before, so I'm not sure how that will go.

I feel so bad leaving my porch drake solo again because he's loved having her company, but I also feel bad for my girls who are with the two drakes outside! Boys are more trouble than they're worth sometimes. Haha. Anyway - one other little bit of good news - Junie is laying again. She'd stopped for a couple of days, and I thought she'd stopped for over a week, but I actually found she'd made her own little nest behind my recliner on the porch. I never even look back there. She was actually sitting on them when I went to get her this evening for her medication, and I thought great, all I need is for you to be broody now!

Back
Top Bottom