Antibiotics for bumblefoot?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dark Angel, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Dark Angel

Dark Angel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    I have a female Mallard 8 mths old. I found she had bumblefoot today. I did an epsom salt warm soak, and removed the core, and pus. I applied antibiotic ointment w/o pain relief, and wrapped her feet. There is still alot of warth in her foot, going into the leg. What would be the best oral antibiotic to put her on? Thanks.

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    I wouldn't jump to an oral antibiotic just yet... bumblefoot tends to need a few days of treatment (soaks, recheck to remove addition pus chunks, reapply antibiotic, etc) before it will heal properly... I do suggest getting some clear/colorless iodine though, to apply after the soaks... it's also called Iodine Tincture and can be found in most pharmacies or pharmacy section of stores... also compare the warmth of her other leg, just to make sure it is elevated heat... their body temps are higher than ours, just fyi... hole this helps and she recovers fully...

3. Dark Angel

Dark Angel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    How many soaks per day? From my research on google it said to apply antibiotic ointment, and wrap for 24 to 48 hours. So should I do soaks, and not wrap? I have her confined inside, actually she is living in my extra bathtub, lol. I clean the tub out a couple of times a day. Being they are going to take antibiotics off the shelves as of the 1st, I'd like to go ahead and pick some up before then. I was thinking oxytetracycline.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  4. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    One soak per day should be fine... some say wrap, some say don't... most important is to keep it clean...

Go ahead and pick up whatever antibiotics you can get, wouldn't hurt to have them in your meds chest just in case and not just for this... :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by