Mar 8, 2019
AL, USA
I need some info on how to get antibiotics to have on hand for my poultry. What type do I get? What can I get without a prescription (no poultry vet here!)?

This is what my local feed store has available (image below). I think only one is labeled for poultry but requires a prescription (which is frustrating because there is not vet to prescribe it for poultry here, I assume they mostly use it for cattle).

TSC says they have the Tylan 200 on their website, but it may or may not be in the store.

Random question, is it possible to use injectable antibiotics orally?

Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 10.50.34 AM.png

@casportpony should be able to give lots of info on this topic.
For the most part, it isn't possible any more to get much in the line of antibiotics without a prescription due to excessive use in all corners, commercial to private parties.
So you just want something to have on hand - in case of what?
Not all antibiotics are appropriate for all instances of need.

"Having on hand" instead of to treat something specific means you should probably get a few different. My chicken medicine cabinet has Vetericyn, Tylan, VetRX and other things left over from treating something specific. There really isn't a silver bullet fix for everything....

Here I disagree with @casportpony , because there are very good reasons why many antibiotics, are not to be used in poultry, including this one!
And, antibiotics 'age out', so about the time it's needed, it might have long expired.
Mary
A very good reason not to keep meds on hand 'just in case'.
I was given tetracycline by a vet many years ago to treat an intestinal bacteria infection.
After the meds were given for the whole course, I had quite a bit left I kept 'just in case'.
Some time later, I had a combiotic injectible to treat bumblefoot. There was a lot left in the bottle. I kept it in the same fridge. By the time I could use either again, they had both expired by a long time.

The immediate need is for a turkey with some facial swelling following a fight. We've also just been going through a difficult time with some of our animals and it seems wise to have antibiotics on hand for a short time. I know they work best for different things and all expire at some point. The problem I am having is finding even one kind that I can actually get and use with the birds. Having even one option seems better than none.

Back
Top Bottom