Antibiotics in eggs question

Moments

Songster
Jun 17, 2023
So my newer layer was on antibiotics a little less than a few months ago and the vet let me know it goes to the eggs for a few months, which i had read beforehand. At the time she wasn't laying yet but has been for a little while now. We haven't been eating her eggs because of this and occasionally she has laid a soft egg, usually outside but the other day laid one in the nighttime enclosure and all that was remaining was the shell so I'm guessing either her or some of the others ate it. Should I be concerned about their eggs now being tainted with antibiotics as well? Also, is it possible I could be in her eggs for more than 3 months?

Thank you I'll check it out. Part of my concern is we give away and sell the eggs and I don't want to give anyone eggs with the prospect of antibiotics in them :)

Thank you I'll check it out. Part of my concern is we give away and sell the eggs and I don't want to give anyone eggs with the prospect of antibiotics in them :)
don’t give away or sell them until the suggested time is up, was it supposed to be four months you said?

don’t give away or sell them until the suggested time is up, was it supposed to be four months you said?
3 months. And those I give/sell too are concerned how I'd know for sure traces of antibiotics would be absolutely gone within that period of time. Then there's the ladies who may've eaten a soft egg that had traces in it. Their eggs would typically be fine (I can tell which eggs are the gal who had antibiotics) but wondering what happens if they ingest an egg that may've had traces in it. Would it go to their eggs. I'd check with the vet but honestly question their knowledge because of experience I've had with them, also may not hear back with an answer to my question. :)

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/289807747_The_study_of_withdrawal_period_of_enrofloxacin_and_its_residues_in_poultry_foods#:~:text=The egg and chicken samples,washed out in 8 days.
Ok, here is what I found looking in scientific articles. According to the study linked above, the withdrawal period for Baytril, which is also called enrofloxacin, in chickens, is 9 days. In other words, after nine days they could find no trace of the antibiotic in the eggs. I assume it would be the same in ducks. The antibiotic Cipro, btw, takes 10 days, so people saying two weeks for all antibiotics makes sense and is probably just to be safe. Three months would definitely seem like overkill. Also, I found that the risk of eating eggs with a baytril residue in them is not because of any danger to humans but rather that small doses of the antibiotic in the human gut could mess with your gut bacteria. This causing antibiotic resistance is the biggest concern.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom