Antibiotics - read me before administering.

Coryza would be considered a growing microorganism, which is why they would typically treat it with an antimicrobial. CS acts more as an antibiotic against bacteria - although some infections can be both.

Like anything natural, I'd say it doesn't hurt to try in most cases. We use something called "super silver" from Amazon.

Some other natural antimicrobials would be cinnamon, pomegranate and spicy peppers. Chickens can't taste "spicy" food, a pepper won't taste "hot" to them. Extracts of these are always good, but doesn't hurt to use a carrier oil, like coconut oil 👍
Thank you, how would you administer cinnamon? None of my hens are showing any signs of being ill. My roo however has a stinky face which is why I think he has Coryza. He has had a slight "donut" eye for a while that I was treating unsuccessfully. I cannot seem to be able to find anything otc to treat him.

Thank you, how would you administer cinnamon? None of my hens are showing any signs of being ill. My roo however has a stinky face which is why I think he has Coryza. He has had a slight "donut" eye for a while that I was treating unsuccessfully. I cannot seem to be able to find anything otc to treat him.
Anything like the oils or extracts we mix into something they really like. We have goats and make our own yogurts and butters, so typically we mix it into a yogurt - which also helps with the probiotics. We usually go with about a 1/4 cup of yogurt and a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon or whatever else you are using - every other day- more of each of the bird isn't sequestered.

I have actually been getting a lot of requests for natural remedies since speaking up on here about it recently. A lot of chicken illnesses present the same, or close to the same, so we have a go to routine we go through with each one, Whenever we see a bird potentially feeling ill. We don't get a lot of them, and we aren't always successful, but it sure is something when you help a chicken, animal or yourself back to health with what you've grown in your garden.

A chicken's ecosystem is very fragile in terms of nutrient absorption, which can be a bad thing, but also a great thing when you think of how something like a helpful herb can work to cure them

Anything like the oils or extracts we mix into something they really like. We have goats and make our own yogurts and butters, so typically we mix it into a yogurt - which also helps with the probiotics. We usually go with about a 1/4 cup of yogurt and a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon or whatever else you are using - every other day- more of each of the bird isn't sequestered.

I have actually been getting a lot of requests for natural remedies since speaking up on here about it recently. A lot of chicken illnesses present the same, or close to the same, so we have a go to routine we go through with each one, Whenever we see a bird potentially feeling ill. We don't get a lot of them, and we aren't always successful, but it sure is something when you help a chicken, animal or yourself back to health with what you've grown in your garden.

A chicken's ecosystem is very fragile in terms of nutrient absorption, which can be a bad thing, but also a great thing when you think of how something like a helpful herb can work to cure them
What I was alluding to is I am going to put that treatment process on here within the next few weeks.

Press the pus out of his eye, if you don't do that, nothing is going to make the eye get better.
Sulfa antibiotics are used to treat symptoms Infectious Coryza which is a bacterial respiratory disease, birds will be carriers for life.

Press the pus out of his eye, if you don't do that, nothing is going to make the eye get better.
Sulfa antibiotics are used to treat symptoms Infectious Coryza which is a bacterial respiratory disease, birds will be carriers for life
@Wyorp Rock you are certainly correct.

I'm not arguing with you, because you are a master here that obviously knows their stuff, but why would you treat with a sulfa antibiotic if the real issue is an internal infection? I remember those as being for things like skin absesses or infections in humans? I certainly trust your expertise, mainly just a question.

Sulfa antibiotics are used to treat symptoms Infectious Coryza which is a bacterial respiratory disease, birds will be carriers for life.
There isn't anything to press out. His eye isn't bulging like most do. It's just puffy around his eye, not the eye itself, which makes it look like a donut.

Thank you. I will try it!

There isn't anything to press out. His eye isn't bulging like most do. It's just puffy around his eye, not the eye itself, which makes it look like a donut.
also, where can if finds Sulfa antibiotics? I have been looking and so far I have not had any luck.

Thanks!

@Wyorp Rock you are certainly correct.

I'm not arguing with you, because you are a master here that obviously knows their stuff, but why would you treat with a sulfa antibiotic if the real issue is an internal infection? I remember those as being for things like skin absesses or infections in humans? I certainly trust your expertise, mainly just a question.
Infectious Coryza IS an internal bacterial infectious disease that is highly contagious. Sulfa drugs in combination with Baytril will treat it, however birds are carriers for life. I would cull Coryza infected birds in a heartbeat.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/infectious-coryza/infectious-coryza-in-chickens

Back
Top Bottom