Antique Incubator Rebuilding

I have had that same exact incubator for yrs,Many happy hatches
What I found with mine was on day 18 you'll need another humidity pan, also I Replaced the Thermostat wafers only to find out that the threaded controll was bent on both knobs, Brass I replaced mine with 10/32 machine screws in stainless The bend in them was hardly noticable however it was enough to cause the wafer not to function properly, Also if you look at the fan up top there will be a place to oil,(I use either Rem-oil ) or sewing machine oil. Good luck once you have it running it will give you many more yrs of service

Jvls....Wisc.......yes and no on turning the eggs...it has 4 thing'eees that have two rods on them with a sweeper on the other end ( shaped like a U with sq. corners...the eggs sit in wire cage that zig zags back and forth....you put the sweeper in the tray under the eggs, lift up and turn all eggs as you pull...you do this for each tray, reversing your action the next time to turn....I haven't done this yet, but the guy at Legg Peafowl told me. I saw one on ebay and they wanted $650.00 for it, I found this on craigslist from some crack house person who didn't know it's value....at least to me anyway. I'll have this thing Gleaning before long....any other info is gladly appreciated.....I would like to replace the 3 heating elements....but they are 36" long....does anyone know if a Dickey or GQF element will stretch that far? I'm just bored and needed a project and love working with wood....come on down and stay at my place in the North Ga. Mtns....by the way I was raised in MN, but got smart and moved south.
May the "Big Hatch Bird" watch over your flock....happy hatching folks!

I finally talked to Don @ Sunny Creek Farms, 15378 160'th Street SW, Red Lake Falls, MN 56750 and had a very enjoyable conversation with him regarding my Leahy....the guy is a walking computer regarding incubators. He is sending me my 3 heat elements and a copy of the original owners manual. He doesn't take credit cards and waits for your check....I like this guy!
Leahy made units for Sears and they called them Farm Masters, they also made smaller incubators as well. And yes, these are considered the Cadillac of incubators....the company went belly up when GQF came out with their cabinet....particle board vs. solid redwood, it doesn't seem fair...this unit is worth more today than it sold for....By the way a GQF cabinet sold for $175.00 when it was introduced and I wonder how many of those first incubators are still being used?
Home of the "Monster Bator"
Happy Hatch'en

I have a borrowed gqf cabinet model.. It is very old but it still works.. the guy I am borrowing it from is in his 60's and it was his father who used to supply chicks to local feed stores with this bator..

/////jiminwisc///////

Back
Top Bottom