Antique Incubators And Brooders

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rancher hicks, Sep 30, 2010.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    MY DD'S IN LAWS OWN AND OLD FARMHOUSE AND IN THEY FOUND WHAT APPEAR TO BE TWO OXTAGON BROODERS AND A "BELLE CITY" BROODER OR INCUBATOR. I DON'T KNOW IF ITS A COMBINATION JOB OR ONE OR THE OTHER AS IT'S STILL IN THE BACK OF MY MINIVAN SINCE I HAVE NO PLACE TO SET THEM UP YET.

ONE OF THE OXTAGON BROODERS HAS A MUSLIN CURTAIN ALL AROUND THE SIDES. I TRIED TO FIND INFO ON THE INTERNET BUT FOUND NOTHING. I HAVEN'T TAKEN PICTURES OF THE BROODERS YET.

HERE IS A PICTURE SHOWING THE SETUP OF THE INCUBATOR, THOUGH I'M NOT SURE IT CAN BE USED AS BOTH AND INCU AND/OR BROODER. IT HAS THE REGULATOR WITH IT. HAS ANYONE SEEN THIS BEFORE AND HAVE ANY INFORMATION ABOUT THEM? FOUND AN ADVERT FOR IT IN THE 1907 WORLD ALMANAC COSTS $7 BUT IF ORDERED WITH THE SET OF BOTH $11.00

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  2. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    No idea, but I can't wait to see pictures. Great find!

3. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Those are really neat. I am looking forward to pics once you set them up. Interesting about the muslim curtains on the oxtagon booder!!

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I'm not sure I'd want to go through all it would take to use that comtraption. I'm not that what I have is an incu it may be a brooder. Though I expect it takes more skill to use than the basic set up. I haven't found pics of the other two brooders I have, but I have found an antigue incu much nicer than what I have for $795. on e-bay. Nice piece of furniture, it was. Mine doesn't appear to have the legs.

Not sure who would want them.

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Meeeeeee I collect incubators, have over 12 now....

6. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    I've got 3 old wooden incubators. I don't use them for hatching, but they are awesome and unique pieces of furniture! My latest find was a super hatcher - complete along with the orginal book. I purchased it off a couple and it had been her father's. They looked at me like I was nuts when I told them it was going in the house. I smiled all the way home!!!

7. flgardengirl

Dec 2, 2009
    Quote:Since it is open, how does it keep the humidity level up? [​IMG]

8. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Its not "open" its just being shown with the the door open. The heat runs threw a pipe around the incubator then out the top.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  9. flgardengirl

Dec 2, 2009
    Oh okay I get it now lol. I think the antique incubators are fascinating. I wonder if the Amish still use them? They probably are smart and just use broodys instead lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by