Antiseptic for chickens?

Horsewell

Songster
11 Years
May 27, 2008
England
is there any special needs for antiseptics to use on chickens or can it be any type of animal antiseptic?

Last edited:
* For small owies that are not near the eyes, I just wash it with a dab of antibacterial soap, wipe, and apply neosporin. But, what to do really depends on the wound-- where it is, how bad it is, type: puncture, gash, clean cut. I like hydrogen peroxide for wounds, too-- but seems there's a lot of 'debate' on it's correct use or use at all for many lately.

currently being talked about right now on a recent post that begins with the title "Please help, I'm in tears." with last comment by Miss Prissy. Find it and there's lots of good info from numerous people.

One of my RIR, has a lump or a boil of some kind on the top of it's foot. She can walk fine and is not limping. I do not think it is bubmlefoot. Is there a antibotic cream I could use to see if it helps with it? Other then that she walks fine and is eating.

Thank you all for posting this thread. I had a little chicken get into the big chicken's pen and they tore her up! Poor little thing was almost pecked to death. I searched google and it led me here where I found this thread. I followed one of the links and found some natural recipes.

We separated the wounded chicken in a cage and found a recipe that we mixed up and after only one day she looks soooooo much better! I mixed about 1/8 cup coconut oil, 1/2 tsp vitamin e, 5 drops of lavender essential oil, 3 drops of thieves, 3 drops of lemon and used an eye dropper to totally coat her wounds. The next day her wounds are scabbed over (no open sores) with hardly any inflammation and she is eating and acting alert and even has her head up. It will be awhile before she can get back in the pen with the other little chickens, but I really think she's going to be just fine! Thanks again for posting!!!

Back
Top Bottom