Antisocial or sick chicken?

mirandaleecon

Songster
6 Years
Aug 29, 2014
Panama City, FL
I have an Easter Egger who has been acting weird for several weeks. She has been hanging out in the coop or on the roost more often than not. She was going through a pretty rough molt so I figured she was just uncomfortable and didn't want to deal with the rest of the flock. She is now fully feathered and looks great.

She's alert, normal posture, walks fine, comes out of the coop to eat or drink, but then goes back in shortly after. Almost as if she is broody but instead of hanging out in a nest box, she is sitting on the roost or just hanging out in the coop.
The other day I found her hiding in the younger hens coop because there were too many in hers (her coop is much smaller).

Our flock has gotten significantly larger since we got her (she was in my original flock of 3), and there are 5 roosters to about 20 hens. Four of those roosters just now are coming into maturity and we just haven't had time to process them. Could she be hiding from them? Everyone is free range so there is plenty of room for escape although those roosters are pretty persistent...

Any thoughts?

I'd say your suspicions are most likely the cause of her behaviour. Maybe process the boys asap and see how she gets on.

Ct

I'd say your suspicions are most likely the cause of her behaviour. Maybe process the boys asap and see how she gets on.

Ct

Yea, I think that is the plan for this weekend. We have been meaning to do it for a couple weeks now but the holidays have had us busier than I expected. I might take her inside and see how she acts when there are no roosters to worry about. Her sister was being chased yesterday and she jumped right up on my shoulder!

Adolescent boys can a real pain in the you know where
1f604.png

Ct

I'm starting to see that now. They single out one hen and gang up on her. My oldest rooster was a bit rough when we first got him but he has chilled out a little. None of the girls seem to be terribly willing to mate with any of them though. Actually contemplating getting a different breed altogether. We had a little bantam rooster who all of the girls would squat for. He could never get the deed done though and then got taken by a hawk...

Is it possible for you to pen up the cockerels separately until you have time to deal with them?

It's normal for a molting bird. They just want to be left alone. Now add to it males coming to maturity, and there is even more reason for her to hide. Make sure she is eating and drinking.

Back
Top Bottom