Antisocial

leela1979

In the Brooder
Dec 6, 2016
Mccomb,mississippi
My duck is almost 5 months old but he will not have anything to do with my other ducks only me and my husband he is mean to every other animal ..is anybody else having this issue ?

Attachments

• 57D88798-DF14-47DC-AA66-5B1103C7A357.png
    57D88798-DF14-47DC-AA66-5B1103C7A357.png
    7.5 MB · Views: 3
Thank you I have over 20 ducks ..I have more girls than boys .i have had him since he was hatched and we spend a lot of time with him every day .we try to get him to be social but it just will not happen he is mean to the other ducks make or female he doesn’t care ..he is spoiled rotten ..

My duck is almost 5 months old but he will not have anything to do with my other ducks only me and my husband he is mean to every other animal ..is anybody else having this issue ?
I don't have any experience with this, but I have heard of this happening with imprinted waterfowl. The theory is that the bird truly believes it is human and has no interest in birds.

A bit of background will help us here. Also a bit more info on your setup and what the rest of your flock is composed of.
Was this guy a singleton hatchling? If so, he would definitely be imprinted and confused.
where has he been living? On his own, in your house, or outside within sight and earshot of the others?
What behaviours is he demonstrating that you would describe as “mean?”
what is your flock composed of? Ages, sexes, breeds...
Are they penned? Free range? Something else?

I have a drake that I raised from hatch, he was a singleton, and he was a nightmare to incorporate into the flock. Thankfully I started when he was 2 months old, so even though it took months, he’s now integrated well. He still comes running when I come out to see them but he doesn’t stick to me like glue or chase the other ducks away.
I also have a mule drake that was raised with a sebright chick who was extremely confused as to what species he was, was terrified of other ducks for weeks until it clicked in his brain that he’s like them, so it’s not always a human bond that causes problems, but a general “not my own species” problem. 🤷🏼‍♀️

A bit of background will help us here. Also a bit more info on your setup and what the rest of your flock is composed of.
Was this guy a singleton hatchling? If so, he would definitely be imprinted and confused.
where has he been living? On his own, in your house, or outside within sight and earshot of the others?
What behaviours is he demonstrating that you would describe as “mean?”
what is your flock composed of? Ages, sexes, breeds...
Are they penned? Free range? Something else?

I have a drake that I raised from hatch, he was a singleton, and he was a nightmare to incorporate into the flock. Thankfully I started when he was 2 months old, so even though it took months, he’s now integrated well. He still comes running when I come out to see them but he doesn’t stick to me like glue or chase the other ducks away.
I also have a mule drake that was raised with a sebright chick who was extremely confused as to what species he was, was terrified of other ducks for weeks until it clicked in his brain that he’s like them, so it’s not always a human bond that causes problems, but a general “not my own species” problem. 🤷🏼‍♀️
He lives outside on my porch in his pen I take him out in the yard I have ducks that free range I have a blind duck that stays in the pen I also I have a couple of drakes that refuse to leave the pen .. when I say mean this is what I mean every time another duck or chicken or cat gets around him he tried to bite them chases them off ..he follows me everywhere I go ifnibgetnoutnof his sight he hollers for me until I return he only does that to me .. he refuses to live with the other ducks I have tried but he just yells the whole time if I leave him in there

Back
Top Bottom