1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ants in my nest box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by P-Dog, Dec 8, 2015.

1. P-Dog

P-Dog Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2015
    Kawaihae, Hawaii
    Aloha all - I just went out to get my eggs and there were ants in one of my nest boxes. There were fours eggs in one box and ants were crawling all over one egg. Blacks ants. Not a lot - maybe 20 in total. I brushed them off and there are no cracks in the egg that I can see. The other eggs were left alone. I pulled out most of the nesting material and there was no ant nest. The other nest box was perfectly fine. Three eggs and no ants.

This is the first time I've ever seen ants or critters in the coop other than the flies that buzz around the poop.

Should I be concerned? Should I clean the coop thoroughly? Is now a good time to panic?!? :)

The girls are all healthy and happy. No diseases or ants crawling on them.

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    I would put some diatomaceous Earth in the bottom of the nest boxes and then recover with your materials. I do not know what the ants might have been after.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by